Chapter Four: Drunk

Despite my huge desire to...well... not want to; I finally unwrapped myself from the warm tangled sheets and rose slowly into the chilly ocean air. I wish I could've just laid there forever...and I wish last night never stopped. I've had a lot of amazing moments at the summer house before but this by far was the one I would always remember as the best night of my life.

I walked stiffly over to the bathroom; my body numb, my mind busy on an internal high full of pure happiness. I looked in the mirror at my hair going every which way; some strands stuck to my face. My eyes were red and sore from forgetting to take out my contacts. My nose runny, probably from staying out in the rain so long, not that I regretted any of it. But even though I was a complete and utter mess, Conrad still looked me in the eyes and called me beautiful. I loved that about him. The old me would've been mortified by the way I looked but not now. I was too happy to care; Conrad was my husband and that was all the mattered. My eyes were too swollen to put my contacts back in so I quickly searched my old bedroom for my glasses and sure enough there they were sitting on my nightstand collecting layers of dust. I hadn't worn them in forever not since I got contacts in my junior year of high school. They were a little small and would probably give me a headache in five minutes but do-able under the circumstance. Conrad was taking a long time so I decided to go check on him; I tossed a lacy white slip over my head which I brought to match my lace underwear.

...

Conrad POV:

I opened the door. I don't know what or who I was expecting but it sure wasn't Steven and Jere. Steven stood hunched while Jeremiah was slumped over his shoulder his face bruised with an expressionless look to him; his eyes bloodshot. His odor reeking of smoke, sweat, and beer- an odd combination. He appeared completely out of it.

"What the hell happened to you?" I asked concerned and annoyed. I mean this was supposed to be our honeymoon, a drama-free zone away from our ever so dramatic family. I day where Belly and I could just be that- alone.

"I got into a fight", Jere slurred in one running sentence; his voice unchanged and ever so distant. Steven carried him past me straight to the couch where he later passed out.

"Well, I can see that". Sometimes I hear myself saying things only a father would say, or in other words; the obvious. Not that I was my anything like my father. Jere was always my mom's golden boy whereas I was closer with my dad growing up. Of course that all changed when I realized how much of a dick he was.

I came to the conclusion a while ago that I had no right to be disappointed in Jere even when he did stupid things. It was kind of an unspoken agreement between us; that neither of us could judge the other person's decisions. Our relationship, or lack of, was like a bomb waiting to explode at any time. I wasn't going to be the one that stepped on his pride and fume the fire. And as much as I wanted to believe that he was really happy with Shauna and this didn't have something to do with Belly; a part of me already knew it did. But could I blame him -look what I did at his wedding- at least he had the balls to walk away.

"Look-I'm sorry we're here", Steven said acknowledging me, "there's no way in hell, I could bring him back to the motel like this. I know you wanted to have the house to yourselves... but I had nowhere else to go." At this time Jere was snoring loudly; drool was coming out the sides of his mouth. I told Steven to get a bucket in case Mr. Idiot here couldn't hold his liquor.

...

As a walked down the stairs I heard faint talking from the kitchen. It was Conrad and... Steven!? What the hell was he doing here? On my honeymoon. I was furious. I flew down the remaining steps right towards them ready to give him an ear full.

"What the hell is going on?" He looks at me, shocked, and reverted his eyes to the floor. I looked down at me too. Oh my god; my brother just saw me in my underwear. Conrad, I guess had noticed too and stepped quickly in front of me; handing me his wrinkled tee. So not the reaction I was going for.

"I'm sorry..." his voice obviously startled, "Jere got wasted, we had nowhere else to go."

"You're a fucking adult Steven; I'm sure mom knows you guys drink." Which she did. During our high school years, Steven would occasionally come home drunk. My mom would wait up for him and then boom- instant punishment. It was like a definite trap. I would sit on the top of the stairs and listen in. The point being; she knew.

"Belly, come on... you know how she would've reacted. It would've become such a huge deal". He squirmed trying to reason; his fists clenching his sweaty palms tightly. I guess to some degree Steven did have a valid point- my mom would've blown everything out of proportion. She was as protective of the boys as if they were her own... but still, this was their fault. Why should I compromise my honeymoon because they decided to get drunk and act stupid on my wedding night? Not surprising I may add; Steven and Jere together always meant some sort of trouble. The upside to keeping your expectations low is that keeps you from being surprised.

"It is a huge deal", I corrected him, "you guys are unbelievable!" I stormed out of the room; hitting each step hard as I marched upstairs. Sitting on my bed with my pilly, pink blanket I instantly regretted acting so childish. After all, I was married; I wasn't that desperate little kid begging for attention anymore. Or at least I didn't want to be. I hated Steven for being able to push my buttons in the way only a brother could. I hated myself for being that girl again.

...