Chapter 8: Surprise

Steven shook his head, "sorry I brought him here- I really am." He did look apologetic.

"Should I stop him?" I asked honestly. Referring to the fact that Conrad had just gone upstairs to talk rationally to an irrational Jeremiah, which last time left him wearing his own blood. "Like if you were in my place, stuck between a rock and a hard place- what would you do kind of a thing?" I don't exactly know what answer I was expecting perhaps the wise advice that only an older sibling could provide even if it was my immature, half hungover brother.

"I wouldn't get involved." He said finally. Way too late for that I thought, this whole situation was my fault, to begin with.

...

"Steven's taking him back," Conrad whispered in a completely distraught tone. Which be honest I couldn't completely tell if he was talking to me or himself. I could already see the bruise forming on his upper cheek. All I can think to do is hug him tightly. He leans his head into my chest as I gently stroke his tangled, uncombed hair.

"Conrad, what are we going to do with him?" A phrase previously rapped around humour when Jere was purposely being a goofball, never has anyone said it with serious intent.

"I guess, what he wants... to let him go." I can see Conrad slowly pulling something out of pocket, something metallic by the way it captured the early afternoon sun slipping in through cracks between blinds. Without a word, he placed it gently in my hand. "I gift from my dad...and guess my mom too in a sense." He said looking up to see my expression while his remained unchanged.

I laid it out flatly in the center of my palm. "Is this for real?" I could feel a sudden weight on my chest.

"Well yeah, it's a key isn't it?" He joked, at last lighting the mood.

"I can see that part, I meant...what does this exactly mean?"

"It means Bells, I'm over my head in love with you..." Even though I knew this already, I couldn't help but smile. "I picture life- the future. Sunday picnics on the beach, the first time our kids step into the ocean and are disappointed when they realize it's impossible to swim across it, and sitting on the porch watching the sunset-growing old together. That what I want."

I looked at steadily into his kind, honest eyes.

"That's all I ever wanted," I said completely beaming with inner glee and filling the gap between us, I leaned in.

...

One Year Later:

We sat, exchanging old memories while waiting for the waitress to arrive with our food. I liked having the entire family together like this, mine and Conrad's- ours, with each other I knew we could get through anything. My mom and dad side by side, Steven and his date, Mr. Fisher, who I never really got around to calling Adam let alone Dad. The only person missing was Jere, who was gone backpacking through Europe. Con assured me through a brief phone conversation that he wasn't running away but was gone in order to do some "searching". I don't really know what he's searching for, but for his sake, I truly hope he finds it. He deserves to be happy- to have his happily ever after.

Conrad gently nudged my leg underneath the table cloth.

I whispered in his ear, "aren't we a little old to be playing footsies."

He laughed quietly. "Bells, I think we should tell them", looking like an overjoyed child trying to keep in an enormous secret.

"Really?" I asked rubbing my bulging belly, however at this point it kind of just looked like I was bloated rather than had an actual baby bump. "Are you sure it's not too soon? I mean I'm only three months along."

"I think today is the perfect day." He replied, smiling a reassuring smile. Today was the perfect day, Susannah's birthday.

Our dinner arrived shortly after, and then dessert. I ate my entire slice of cheesecake leaving nothing but a few straggling crumbs, and finished off the other half of Conrad's Chocolate Mousse. The thing I hate about pregnancy is the constant desire to devourer any food in sight.

Conrad took his half-drunken glass and carefully tapped his dessert spoon on the rim. All eyes shifted towards  him as he cleared his voice, "So we have an announcement." He said proudly. Those words always make me nervous, like setting up some sort of expectation unsure of the reaction, or maybe because the last time they were said I was in university, engaged. "We're kind of expecting," Conrad said gleaming, kissing me lightly on the forehead. I looked over to my mom who was also smiling and almost in tears, and I felt sudden relief rush over me.

"So what do you think mom?" Conrad holding my hand beside me.

My mom hugged us tightly. "I'm so happy for you sweetheart." She proclaimed in excitement. "How far along are you?" She asked, just as Steven got up to give Conrad a sort of manly embrace, which is basically a pound on the back in combination with a guy handshake.

"About three months," I answered.

"Congrats man, but aren't you scared that the baby will turn out to be half-human and half monster?"

"Shut up Steven" I looked at him unamused. Conrad and my mother laughed.

"It'll be a lot of work raising a child, but the outcomes far out way the sleepless nights and the days you feel like pulling your hair out." She looked at me and Steven with a mothering glance and smiled as if she knew something we would soon find out.

Conrad held my hand tighter and put the other on my growing belly, our son or daughter who we would soon meet.

"I just want to be a good dad to this little one." He told my mother.

"You will be." She nodded. She placed her hand gently on his shoulder. "I know that because your a good person Conrad, and those things go hand in hand."

...