The End

Aelin stood, wiping Erawan's black blood off of her the best she could. They had won the war. After long months in the iron coffin, Aelin had finally learned to make wyrdmarks in the coffin and get out. She escaped, back to her army, back to her mate, back to her family. Rowan had helped her, and now she would help him get over the war. She walked back to the healers tent, looking to comfort the wounded people inside. Even before she went inside, she smelled it. His blood. She gasped and ran inside. There, Rowan Whitethorn Galathynius lay on a cot with blood dripping from him. She went to his side.

"Rowan." she whispered.

"Fireheart. You came." Rowan weakly said.

"We won Buzzard, we won because of you." Aelin said, tears dripping down her face.

Yrene took Aelin to the corner and whispered to her, "  I can't do anything. He would die if II tried to heal him. I have done as much as I could." "I'm sorry" she cried, tears slipping down her face. "The valg have ruined him more than Chaol and even my gift from the gods won't help."

"Then try harder." Aelin said with a different kind of ferosity, and even Yrene Westfall, one of the most stongest people, understood Aelin's anger and sadness went deep. She went over to Rowan and put her hand over him, putting all of her strength into it. Nearby, Chaol sat in his chair, ready to not use his legs. A bright glow filled Yrene's hand as she focused. She gasped.

" Aelin, you have to come here." Aelin walked up to Rowan and Yrene with confusion.

"Put your hands on Rowan. Aelin did that and she saw golden. The next thing she knew, Mala was facing her, so were the other gods.

Aelin walked right up to Mala and glared at her. "Mala, what can I do? You have done nothing to help me."

"No I have not." Mala replied.

" We can not do anything."Sylba said. "Your mate was meant to do die in this war from the start. He gave his life so all of you could live."

"WHAT IS THE POINT IF HE DIES??" Aelin shouted, her voice carrying through the room.

"You will survive, and the whole world will thank you." One of the other gods said.

"Aelin, Listen to me." Mala carresed her face. "Rowan will die, you can do nothing. But you can move on. I know he is your mate, but sometimes these things happen. I want you to stay strong beuatiful girl, I want you to NOT BE AFRAID. Mala wiped her tears away.

Aelin sniffed. "I understand." and with that, she was back in the tent.

Yrene lowered her hand and collapsed into a chair. "Thank you Yrene", Aelin quietly said. "Thank you for everything."

Aelin went to Rowan and sank to her knees at the sight of him. Rowan took Aelin's hand and softly kissed it.

" Are you afraid, Rowan?"

"I am with you Fireheart, my Aelin, my love. I am not afraid." he whispered.

Aelin kissed him, a soft touch, but put everything in it. All the times they had been together. All the pain, all the love, every single moment they had together was a joy, a blessing.

And as the sun set over the clouds, Rowan Whitethorn Galathynuis, King of Terrasen and king to his queens heart, closed his eyes and drifted off to eternal sleep.