XXIV

A ray of light slipped through the curtains waking Eva up from a blissful night of sleep. A small grin slowly spread across Eva's face as the memories of last night were coming back in full swing. With that, she turned around to reaching for Ivar with her eyes still closed. When she couldn't feel him, her eyes slipped open to find the space next to her empty. Her grin quickly fell, the sheets were cold which meant that he hadn't been there for a while. Eva sighed in disappointment, wondering if waking up in his arms on her birthday was asking for too much. 

Eva slowly sat up in bed, she couldn't be happier that Ivar had remembered her birthday and even tradition, but she wanted to spend her every moment of this day with him. She looked back to the side of his bed wishing he was there when something caught her eye. 

A rustic brown paper folded in - half was sitting nicely on the pillow Ivar's head was laying on only hours ago. It had a symbol drawn on it in black ink in the middle of the paper, a symbol of some sort. Eva picked it up and examined the symbol closer, she then realised it was not a symbol but a rune. Underneath it was written in sharp precise strokes was the word written strength. 

Eva piqued with interest unfolded the paper to find a message on the inside, the writing much the same as the one on the front. Eva read the letter with excitement out loud,

"To my beloved wife,

I hope you slept well. I surely did with you in my arms all night. I have prepared an eventful day for you today, I hope you do not mind. So get ready for the day, I have prepared your breakfast, it is waiting for you in the kitchen. You will need your strength for today, it will be a long and joyous one, that you hopefully will never forget.

Eat my love, there is a surprise awaiting you.

Yours truly, your husband who loves you."

Eva's heart skipped a beat as she read the letter, she couldn't help the small squeal that slipped from her mouth. Eva was impressed, she hadn't known that Ivar learnt how to write in English, but learning it through a love letter melted her heart. She quickly got up and did her morning routine before racing to the kitchen yelling Ivar's name ready to attack him with kisses. When she arrived in the kitchen Ivar was nowhere to be seen, only Elaine. Eva couldn't help her face from falling in disappointment. 

"Oh hey" 

"Happy birthday  Eva!" Elaine shouted. 

"Thank you, have you seen Ivar?" 

"No but mum and dad are waiting for us at the table, I think Ivar made a massive breakfast for us all," Elaine replied. 

"What?" Eva lost for words. 

"Thats what I said."

As they made their way to the table Elaine wasn't lying. Both her parents were sat at the table that was full of food. Grilled bacon, Sunnyside up eggs, toast, cooked tomatoes, Fried mushrooms were sitting there waiting to be eaten. Ivar had cooked a full English breakfast for her and her family but was nowhere to be seen. Eva's heart softens a little more, she had taught Ivar how to cook this all and told him it was her favourite breakfast and he had remembered. Eva had no idea what she had done to deserve such a consider loving man like Ivar. 

"Ugh, happy birthday Eva," her father said. 

The atmosphere was a little awkward, but she was happy her father had remembered her birthday. 

"Yeah, happy birthday dear," her mother added. 

"Ah, Thank you both" she replied. 

Elaine just sat at her usual seat, trying to mind her business.