A New Teammate

Silvia and SilverShadow flew over a nearby island, away from the dragon hunters ship they had just destroyed. SilverShadow's spirits had lifted after attacking the people who had killed her mother. She flew happily through the air, occasionally doing tricks. She flipped through the air and hung upside down, looking at the rocks and grass below her. Suddenly out of nowhere a metal net was headed right for her. SilverShadow turned upright and slid right to avoid the net. Silvia looked back at the net as it fell into a tree. A sudden movement ahead caught her attention and she guided SilverShadow towards the ground using the iron ring attached to her saddle.

They landed on the ground and started looking around. Out of nowhere another metal net was hurdled towards them. SilverShadow jumped out the way, but the net fell on Silvia. Silvia landed on the ground, pinned down by the metal net. She tried to lift it off, but had no luck. Silvia caught her breath and started looking around for SilverShadow, but she was nowhere to be seen. "SilverShadow, here girl" called Silvia, but her dragon didn't come. Silvia started to grow nervous, SilverShadow would never leave her alone, especially not on a strange island where random nets were being thrown around. Silvia heard a roar and a scream. Then all was quiet. Silvia's heart was pounding. Suddenly a girl jumped out of a bush and ran towards Silvia. SilverShadow flew above them and landed onto of the girl, pinning her down. With a quick slice of her dragon's tail Silvia was free from the net. Silvia grabbed her battle-slash from SilverShadow's saddle pouch, then walked over to the girl.

The girl screamed as SilverShadow roared and thrust her tail at the girl, only missing her fingers by a few centimetres. SilverShadow grinned and flung her tail at the girl again, she was clearly enjoying this game. Silvia walked over to the girl and stood over her, holding the battle-slash over her neck. "Please don't kill me!" Pleaded the girl. "Who are you?!" Demanded Silvia. "My name is Edith. I've been on the run from the dragon hunters. I saw you attack their ship so I tried to catch you with the nets because I heard the hunters want this dragon so if I thought that if I caught it and gave it to them maybe they would leave me alone" said the girl in a panicked voice. Silvia lifted the battle-slash from her neck and said "keep talking." "I used to work with the hunters because they are the only family I have, but I don't like how they catch dragons so I would let them free. One day the leader found out about me letting all the dragons escape so he wants to use me as bait to catch other dragons and he doesn't care if I die. So I thought if I caught you and this dragon they might forgive me" she said. "Well we wish to free the dragons and stop the hunters. So we will help you if you will help us. You know the hunters, their traps and their ships. You help us and we will make sure you stay safe" Silvia proposed. "What if I say no?" Asked the girl as she glared at Silvia. "Then you will be the first to be killed by a Razorwhip" Silvia grinned as SilverShadow's tail hit the ground between two of the girl's fingers. "Oh and don't think you can run and hide, she can track you down an ocean away" Silvia said. "Okay, okay, deal!" Said Edith shutting her eyes as SilverShadow roared.

SilverShadow got off Edith, letting her get to her feet as Silvia had told her to do.
"We will stay on this island for now. Since it's getting dark me and SilverShadow will find a good spot to spend the night while you gather firewood" Silvia told Edith. Edith nodded and walked towards some trees further off. Silvia patted her dragon who was growing softly as she watched Edith walk away. They found a nice place surrounded by trees to spend the night. Silvia decided she wouldn't let Edith on Shredstone Walls, it was their island, the one place no one knew how to find and she wanted to keep it that way.

SilverShadow growled as Edith came back with a pile of branches and put them on the ground, keeping a far distance from the dragon. "Easy girl" Silvia said, putting her hand on SilverShadow. Edith picked up two rocks and started rubbing them together. "What are you doing?" Asked Silvia. "I'm trying to lit the fire" Edith told her. Silvia laughed as SilverShadow shot the branches and lit the fire. Edith was weird, but Silvia was glad to have human company again. Silvia took of the mask of razor-cloth she had been wearing and revealed her face to Edith. Edith put down the rocks and walked towards them. "I'm sorry about the nets earlier" Edith said. "I would have done the same" Silvia replied. Silvia patter the ground next to her and Edith came over and sat down. She looked at the shiny Razorwhip. "What species is she?" Edith asked, looking at SilverShadow. "She's a Razorwhip, it's a new species I found." "Wow, she's beautiful and I love her scales!" "Yes, they are like plates of armour and no arrows can hit her." "Can she be hit anywhere though? Or is she completely perfect?" "The only way is to hit under her scales, but there is no way to do that while she's flying, so yes, she's pretty perfect" Silvia said smiling. Silvia and Edith talked long into the night. They talked about Razorwhips and other dragons, they talked about dragon hunters and plans to free the dragons and they talked about their lives and past. The only light was the burning ambers of the fire shining through the dark night surrounding them as they finally fell asleep.