Chapter 1

Hey, guys! I'm taking a tidbit of your time to give credit to @johnandmaryhusbandandwife on Instagram for giving me the Paramedic!Cas AU. Follow them if you have an Insta because they are fantastic! <3 Also, just for future reference, Anna is Cas's sister and her last name is Milton, so Castiel Milton. Bc, I'm not using his vessel's name for him?

     "Go! Go! Go!" A woman's voice boomed, the young man looked over at his baby brother, Sammy, unconscious on the ambulance cot next to him, "He's dropping!" The woman's voice boomed once more.

     "Sammy?" Dean asked groggily, he quickly gained consciousness, realizing the situation his brother was in, "Sammy!? Stay with me, you hear?" The young man's stomach dropped. He rolled his head to the side, then looked at his baby brother once more, "Sam!" he shouted.

     "Sir!" Another man's voice rings in his ears, "We need you to stay with us," Dean felt hands firmly grasp his cheeks, "what's your name?" The man asked.

     "D-Dean Winchester," Dean replied, barely conscious.

     "Well, Dean," the man said, his hands still planted firmly on Dean's cheeks, "you and your brother are going to be fine, alright? I'll make sure of it." He finished. Dean nodded groggily, his head bobbing back and forth, first checking on Sam, then looking at the woman beside him. He struggled to keep his head up, his vision blurry and muscles shaky. His head fell, but he picked it back up again, though this time he could only hold it for a matter of seconds. His head fell once more, his eyes slowly closing. All of a sudden, all he could see was black. No more bright, blurry ambulance lights to make him squint, no white walls to make him feel caged, no red, like the blood Sam was covered in, leaving him to wonder if he would be the reason his baby brother died. Nothing. It was black, like the night sky outside.

     Dean could still hear a few things, feel a few things here and there. Everything was extremely tough to make out, only bits and pieces he could translate. Keywords, he's dropping. He knew it wasn't him, he knew because when the command to being CPR went around, he didn't feel anything. One more distinct sound- a flatline, more shouting. He felt his heart beat quicken, his skin becoming damp with sweat. Another sound- the flatline went back to normal, relieved sighs. One word stood out, saved.

     Dean snapped awake, his body covered in sweat. It wasn't regular sweat; it wasn't hot, this was a cold sweat. He sat up, taking a long look around. The lights in his room were dim, his window leading to the outside world revealed it was still night time, he couldn't have been out long. His expression changed from one of confusion to one of complete terror, "Sonofabitch," Dean huffed, bringing his arm up and yanking out the IV, "Sammy!" He shouted, pulling the hospital bed sheets off of him and hoisting himself up using the bedside table. Dean, of course, not caring at all for his health, ran towards the front desk.

     "Hello, how may I help-" the woman behind the desk cut herself off, "it's night time... you should be in bed, boy." Dean shook his head furiously, terror in his eyes, anger plastered on his face. The woman let out another sigh, clearly not wanting to give in, but she nodded anyway, "What's your name?" She asked.

     "Dean," Dean said, "Dean Winchester." The woman nodded, giving a slight smile.

     "My name is Ellen," the woman said, "Ellen Harvelle." Dean gave her a look of urgency, evident panic in his eyes. The woman sighed, looking over towards room 221b, in hallway B, on the opposite side of where Dean's room is. Dean ran over. Just as her burst into the room, he saw his brother, lying unconscious, more half of his body covered in white, hospital sheets.

     "Sammy..." Dean said, his voice breathy. He looked up; the heart monitor was going steady, his baby brother was ok. All of the sudden, Dean's stomach twisted. What if he isn't? Dean thought, Just because his heart is beating doesn't mean he's alive, he could be in a coma. Dean shook his head, "Don't think like that." Dean said aloud, letting out a giant sigh and sitting on the chair on the opposite side of the room from the bed, but closest to the door. A few minutes passed, nothing changed. The lights were still on low, flickering constantly. Everything was completely silent other than the constant buzz of electricity the lights let out.