The Truth

Peter stood on a balcony looking over the world that his father had created, with romantic music playing. 'So I guess this could all be mine someday.' Peter said. 'Rocket? Rocket, are you there?' Gamora asked over the intercom. Peter then looked towards Gamora. He approached her, and wrapped his arms around her. 'What are you doing, Peter?' Gamora asked. 'Dance with me,' Peter replied. 'I'm not going to dance with you,' Gamora said. 'This is Sam Cooke,' Peter said, explaining the song that was playing, 'one of the greatest Earth singers of all time.' Gamora then gave up, and they began to dance slowly to the music. 'Drax says you're not a dancer,' Peter said. 'If you ever tell anyone about this, I will kill you.' Gamora replied. 'When are we gonna do something about this unspoken thing between us?' Peter asked. 'What unspoken thing?' Gamora replied. 'This...Cheers, Sam and Diane, a guy and a girl on a TV show who dig each other, but never say it because if they do, the ratings would go down.' Peter said. 'There's no unspoken thing,' Gamora replied. 'Well, it's a catch-22,' Peter said, 'because if you said it, then it would be spoken, and you would be a liar. So, by not saying it, you are telling the truth, and admitting there is.' 'No,' Gamora said, 'that's not what I...' She sighed, and backed away from Peter. 'Anyway, what we should be discussing right now is something about this place. It doesn't feel right.' 'What are you talking about?' Peter replied defensively. 'You're the one who wanted me to come here!' 'That girl Mantis,' Gamora said, 'she's afraid of something.' 'Why are you trying to take this away from me?' Peter said. 'I'm not trying...' Gamora began. 'He's my father. He's blood.' Peter replied. 'You have blood on Earth, and you never wanted to return there.' Gamora said. 'Again, you made me come here!' Peter snapped. 'And Earth? Earth is the place where my mother died in front of me!' 'No, it's because that place is real, and this is a fantasy.' Gamora replied. 'This is real!' Peter replied. 'I'm only half human, remember?' 'That's the half I'm worried about.' Gamora said. 'Oh, I get it.' Peter said. 'You're jealous, because I'm half god, and you like it when I'm the weak one.' 'You were insufferable to begin with.' Gamora replied. 'I haven't been able to reach Rocket. I'm gonna go outside and I'm gonna try and get a signal.' 'You know what?' Peter said. 'This is not Cheers after all! This is whatever the show is where one person is willing to open themselves up to new possibilities, and the other person is a jerk, who doesn't trust anybody! It's a show that doesn't exist! That's why it would get zero ratings!' 'I don't know what Cheers is!' Gamora replied. 'I finally found my family. Don't you understand that?' Peter said. 'I thought you already had.' Gamora replied. She walked away. 'And so did I,' a voice said from behind him. The Doctor had walked in on the conversation. 'Have you been watching this entire thing?' Peter said. 'No, I just walked in.' the Doctor said. 'What are you going to say about this?' Peter said. 'There is a possibility that Gamora might be right.' the Doctor said. 'You know that thing where you can create energy? There's got to be a reason why he would teach you to do that.' 'Like what?' Peter asked. 'Anything!' the Doctor said. 'He might not be who he seems. You're right, this place is beautiful, and he could be a good guy, but it might not really be that simple, OK?' 'So you're denying me as well?' Peter said. 'I am not denying you of anything!' the Doctor said, clearly fed up. 'I am a Time Lord, one of the most ancient civilisations of all, and I'm the last one! And power has gotten to my head quite a few times, especially when I did what I did! I can't let you become like that as well, Peter!' They looked at each other worriedly. 'Look, Peter,' the Doctor said. 'There is something I have to tell you.' They sat down together. 'About what?' Peter asked. 'About my death,' the Doctor said. 'I won't really die, but I will regenerate.' 'What is that?' Peter asked. 'Whenever a Time Lord suffers a fatal wound, they change into a new body. So the possibility is, if you do see me again, and I hope you do...' The Doctor cleared his throat. 'I will probably be a completely different man.' Peter looked at him. 'Don't change.' he said. 'You're great how you are.' 'I already have a few times,' the Doctor said. 'This is my tenth incarnation.' 'Then how will I recognise you?' Peter said. 'If you see a man walk out of the TARDIS, who is acting a bit like how I act now with some slight differences - that's me. But not the me that you know right now.' They hugged. 'I'm going to check on the TARDIS now,' the Doctor said. 'I'll see you soon.' Peter looked at the Doctor sadly, contemplating what a completely different Doctor would be like. 'Doctor?' Peter asked. The Doctor turned around. 'Will you recognise me?' 'Yes. I probably will.' the Doctor replied.
He then wandered into the TARDIS, and discovered Mantis inside, stood in front of the console. 'What are you doing, Mantis?' the Doctor asked. 'This is the TARDIS, stands for Time and Relative Dimension in Space. It can go anywhere in all of time and space, and as you've worked out, it's bigger on the inside!' Mantis stared at the console, clearly frightened. 'What's wrong?' the Doctor asked. Mantis looked at him. Her antennae were glowing and she was crying. Not in sadness, but in fear. 'Bad...wolf.' she whimpered. 'I'm sorry, what?' the Doctor asked. 'Bad...wolf!' Mantis replied. 'Mantis, how do you know about that? How do you know what it means?' the Doctor asked as he became increasingly frantic. The cloister bell began ringing. 'The cloister bell,' Mantis said. 'There is something terrible here! Bad...wolf! Bad...wolf! BAD...WOLF!' The Doctor then hurried outside and looked at the TARDIS. All of the words on the TARDIS had been replaced with a single message - Bad Wolf. The end of the universe. The sign of danger. The last time he had seen it, it was an omen of a catastrophic Dalek invasion. 'What is here that will cause the end of the universe, Mantis? Tell me! Please!' the Doctor panicked. 'Ego himself,' Mantis said. 'He wants to use Peter to expand himself over every planet in our universe.' A horrified expression grew on the Doctor's face. He ran out of the TARDIS. 'PETER!' he yelled, running frantically, trying to find his friend. But he was gone. He had gone with Ego. 'No, no, no!' the Doctor said. He ran back towards the TARDIS. 'It's too late.' the Doctor said. The TARDIS suddenly began moving. 'What's happening?' Mantis asked. The TARDIS began moving, and the Time Rotor went up and down and up and down. 'The TARDIS is flying itself!' the Doctor replied. 'Maybe it wants to show us something!' The TARDIS then materialised and landed in a forest on Earth. 'Where are we?' Mantis asked. 'We're on Earth.' the Doctor said. 'Missouri, to be exact. But why here? And why now?' 'There.' Mantis said, pointing at a strange plant on the floor. It was blue, and composed out of Ego's energy. The Doctor examined it with the sonic screwdriver. 'An extension of Ego himself.' the Doctor said. 'He said he had one of those planted on every other planet in the universe.' Mantis said. The Doctor then turned to Mantis. 'We are heading back to Ego's planet right now, and telling everyone the truth!' The Doctor then typed in Ego's coordinates, and headed back to the planet to warn his friends.