Chapter One

It is truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighbourhood, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of surrounding families, that he is considered the rightful property of someone or other of their daughters.

The scene unfolding at the breakfast table of Longbourn household was proof enough of the fact. Jane Bennet, the eldest of the five Bennett sisters listened intently to the argument that was now ensuing between her parents. Lizzy, the sister after her and the one she was closest to was sitting beside her. She rolled her eyes once before going back to devouring her breakfast. Mary, the next sister was oblivious to everything around her as she immersed herself in some ecclesiastical book. Jane cringed a little as the sound of giggling of her youngest sisters Kitty and Lydia interrupted her from hearing what her parents were saying.

"Hush Lydia! Where have all your manners gone? Is this the way to behave!", Jane admonished her sister lightly before going back to her former preoccupation; listening to her parents. The discussion about their new neighbour interested her, it has been a long time since Netherfield has been let.

"What is his name?"

"Bingley."

"Is he married or single?"

"Oh! Single my dear to be sure!..."

The conversation went on in this manner with Mr. Bennet trying to find amusement from his wife's vexations and Mrs. Bennet falling for the trap. But for Jane the rest of the conversation was nothing but a muted murmur.

"Hmm...Mr. Bingley, that's a nice name to have", she decided. She tried to imagine what the gentleman must look like... for gentleman he must be from the sound of him.

Her reverie came to an end due to a sharp nudge at her ribs. "Daydreaming about handsome young men coming to rescue you on white horses, aren't you?", asked Lizzy with that arch smile so typical of her.

"I'm sure I don't know what you mean by that", replied Jane averting her gaze, but the furious blush creeping up her neck stated otherwise.

"Oh darling sister, don't you know how becoming you look when you blush like that. Any man in his senses will definitely loose his head when they see such a beauty. And one day someone will come along who will steal that tender heart of yours and then I shall lose you forever."

"Lizzy stop."

" I shall be the spinster aunt of your little children and come to live with you so that I can help you with them. I shall read to them, teach them to climb trees and may even also let them read a novel or two when you are busy elsewhere", continued Elizabeth Bennett relentlessly.

"Lizzy", gasped a very red faced Jane scandalised. "Think before you speak!"

"Oh Jane! What shall I do without you."

Here again the elder sisters were interrupted by the younger ones' loud exclamations and giggling.

"Oh! What fun. I know he shall ask me for every dance and then all the other girls will be jealous. How good a fun that will be!", Lydia was heard exclaiming loudly.

"Keep quiet Lydia", Lizzy said impatiently.

"You are just jealous because you know Frank Gilbert prefers me above everybody else."

"You may keep all your admirers to yourself for all I care. They aren't of any worth anyway", with that the discussion came to a close.

This may be as good a time as any to introduce the people inhabiting the Bennet household. Mr. Bennet was so odd a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve and caprice that the experience of three- and-twenty years had been insufficient to make his wife understand his character. Her mind was less difficult to develop. She was a woman of mean understanding, little information, and uncertain temper. When she was discontented she fancied herself nervous. The business of her life was to get her daughters married; it's solace was visiting and news.

Jane, the eldest of the Bennet sisters was a beautiful girl with a generous heart. She always sought to find the good in people. Elizabeth Bennet, the one next to her was the spirited one. She never hesitated to speak her mind even if it brought problems upon her. She was always ready with her witty remarks and was well read. Mary Bennet was the pious one of the family who liked to immerse herself in ecclesiastical books. Kitty Bennet, though elder, liked being led by her younger sister Lydia everywhere. Lydia was a high spirited young girl whose head got turned by any handsome young man in the room.