Chapter Five

The assembly provided the Bennet's with the first real encounter with the Mr. Bingley and it was favourable indeed. He was good-looking and gentlemanlike; he had a pleasant countenance, and easy, unaffected manners. His sisters were fine women, with an air of decided fashion. His brother-in-law Mr. Hurst merely looked the gentleman. However, it was his friend Mr. Darcy, who engaged the attention of the room soon after their arrival. A fine, tall man with handsome features and noble mien, Darcy was also reported to have an income of ten thousand a year. He was as quick to lose their interest when the people of Meryton realised he was arrogant and disagreeable. Mr. Bingley was reinstated as the most popular person in the assembly. He turned out to be the most amiable of his group as well.

As Jane stood with Lizzie talking to Charlotte and Maria, the little group was approached by Henry Lucas, Charlotte's younger brother. A young man of twenty-four, he was good-looking, sensible and dependable, not unlike all the other Lucases. Jane knew he harboured a partiality for her. Her younger sister has subjected her to many a teasing about him in the privacy of Longbourn. Unfortunately Jane could never return the affection. She looked upon him as a dear friend and tried her best not to give him any false hopes.

"May I have the pleasure of having your first dance", asked Henry, extending his hand towards Jane, "if you are not otherwise engaged?"

"Yes, of course."

"The dance is about to start. Let's go then."

Jane excused herself from her friends just as their respective partners came to take them to the dance floor. Lizzie has secured her first dance with another one of the Lucas brothers and Charlotte would be dancing with Mr. Bingley. Jane noticed that Frank was dancing with Lydia as she had said he would. For Lydia's sake, Jane hoped Frank's fancy towards her passed away soon. He was not the nicest person to be spending time with.

The proud Mr. Darcy was dancing with Miss Bingley. She was yet to be formally introduced to any of the Netherfield party but from what she saw, Jane gleaned that the Bingley sisters had a certain air of superciliousness about them which could not be hidden by all their charm and elegance. Being of a mild disposition, she wasn't quick to judge and decided to defer her opinions till they were introduced.

As the dance started, Henry tried to strike up a conversation with her which proved to be very difficult over the music. After staccato attempts at asking about each other's family, they lapsed into silence.

The dance being over, Henry led her over to where her mother was standing with Mrs. Lucas. From Mrs. Bennet's expression Jane could see she was not very pleased about Jane's dance partner. But before she could say anything about it and embarrass herself and her daughter in front of Mrs. Lucas, they were approached by two other people. Charlotte came over with Mr. Bingley and introductions were made.

"May I have your next dance?", Bingley asked Jane.

"Yes, of course."

Mr. Bingley was a good dancer and a jovial man. The contrast between his friend Darcy and him was becoming more acute as he stood brooding in a corner while Bingley laughed and talked freely. As the music for the dance ended, Jane was pleased to find herself asked for the next round as well. She could well imagine how excited her mother would be when she realized that Mr. Bingley had asked her a second time. Knowing her, she could already hear Jane's marriage bells. Jane herself was genuinely enjoying the man's company. He was charming and amiable.

Looking round, she saw Lizzie sitting down for this round. Following her gaze Bingley noticed Elizabeth as well and excused himself for a moment. Jane saw him go to Mr. Darcy who was standing quite near her sister and even though she couldn't hear the conversation she assumed that Bingley was trying to get his friend to dance with her sister. This thoughtfulness touched Jane but she was not really surprised when Bingley failed in his endeavour. In the course f the evening Jane had seen Darcy speak openly with the Netherfield party only and engage in some customary small talks with a few others but he had gotten out of those as soon as he could. Jane didn't expect him to dance with someone he did not know.

The rest of the evening turned out to be quite enjoyable for Jane. She became acquainted with the Bingley sisters as well. They turned out to have all the charm of their brother and seemed as taken by her as their brother had appeared to be. Still Jane could detect a deficiency of the warmth that was so prominent in Mr. Bingley's temperament. She did not know what to make of Mr. Hurst who seemed to have no opinions of his own but agreed with everybody around him. As the evening drew to a close Jane found herself looking forward to the time when she could be alone with her sister and discuss the events of the ball.