Chapter Two

Mr. Bennet was among the earliest of those who waited on Mr. Bingley. He had always intended to visit him, though to the last always assuring his wife that he should not go; and till the evening after the visit was paid she had no knowledge of it.

                     When at last the news of the visit was exposed to his family, the astonishment of the ladies was what he wished and was thusly rewarded.

                     Jane, knowing her mother's ways deigned to make any comment and let her vent her feelings. But to herself she admitted  that she was very much surprised her father had made the effort to pay a call upon Mr. Bingley. He usually minded his own business and never came out of his study if not necessary. Such social pleasantries were not for him.

                     She wondered if he had paid the call just for the purpose of amusing himself with more human folly. She loved her father but that did not make her blind to his faults. She decided to let it go and concentrate on the conversation around her. Mr. Bennet had already escaped to his study.

“Lydia, my love, though you are the youngest, I dare say Mr. Bingley will dance with you at the next ball.”
“Oh! I am not afraid; for though I am the youngest, I'm the tallest.”
“I knew I could depend upon you, my dearest. Come give your Mama a kiss. Then we shall go see what dresses you have.”
“Dresses Mother?”
“Yes of course. I want you to look your best when you meet Mr. Bingley”
Jane could not stop the sigh that escaped her lips at this.