Prologue

Hi! My name's Kara Uzumaki. I'm one of the last of my clan, and basically a prodigy. I'm good at almost everything I've ever tried to do. Well, excluding special stuff that only certain clans can do. 

  Today I'm moving in with my aunt and cousin in the Hidden Leaf village. My uncle was the Forth Hokage. My aunt had married him around ten years ago.

  I can finally stay in one place. I can have a home. I was walking down the pathway to the village when I saw the gate in the distance. There was a woman with bright red hair standing there, talking to who I can only assume are the gate guards. 

  I picked up my pace. I could recognize that hair anywhere. It was practically the signature appearance of my clan. I wish I could run, but all of this stuff was slowing me down. I had all my belongings with me. A backpack and a suitcase. I could tell that I was making a lot of noise because the people at the gate looked over at me. I could clearly see their faces. The woman was beaming at me.

  "Kara!" She called excitedly. "It took you long enough! You're almost late, ya know?"

  "Hi, Aunt Kushina." I replied as soon as I didn't have to yell. "I'm glad to see you."

  The two gate guards looked at me suspiciously. "Lady Kushina, do you know this kid?" One asked.

  "Well of course!" Kushina said proudly. "She just said that I'm her aunt, didn't she, Izumo? And drop the 'Lady' thing." She added to the other guard.

  "Yeah, well, um," The guard, Izumo, stammered. "W-well, I need to see your passport, kid." 

  I pulled it out of my bag. "I'm Kara." I smiled politely, tilting my head to the right ever so slightly, causing some of my bright red hair to falling my eyes. It was a trick I picked up long ago. It made me seem more sweet and innocent. Ha! I'm an absolute dork.

  They looked over the card and sighed. "Here you go, kiddo." The unnamed guard said, handing my card back to me, then looking to my aunt. "How long will she be staying?" He asked dully.

  "This little one will be living with me from today on!" She exclaimed. "And she'll be attending the Academy with Naruto."

  The guards nodded and waved me - no, us on. I was going to have to get used to living with other people who didn't treat me like a princess. This would be fun.

  Aunt Kushina was pointing out buildings to me. "You can see the Hokage tower from here. There's a park over that way. This is the market district. The Academy's that way. And," we paused in front of a two story house. "This will be your home from now on. Come in, let's get you settled."

  We stepped inside. I took off my shoes and set down my bag by the stairs. Where was Naruto? 

  "Kara, your room's up here. Let's get your stuff up here; we have to talk to your new teacher in forty-five minutes." My aunt called.

  We carried my stuff up the stairs. She pointed me to a room on the left, at the end of the hallway. I dragged my stuff in, being careful not to scratch the floors. 

  My room wasn't small, but it was most definitely not big either. There was a full sized bed in one corner next to a window. There was a small closet next to my door. If I had to guess, I'd say that it was next to the closet in the next room. There was a desk and chair below the window. I set my coral colored sheets on my bed and put a dark green blanket next to them. My room was painted pale yellow. It was comfortable. I stuck my suitcase in the closet next to small shelving unit. 

  I walked downstairs. "Um, excuse me?" I asked lightly. Aunt Kushina looked over at me.

  "What's up, kiddo?"

  I hesitated slightly. "What should I call you?" I inquired softly. I'm a quiet person, so I expected to be asked to repeat my question. 

  "Hmm..." She said, thinking. I observe red her as she thought. This was Kushina Namikaze, the family member everyone knew about. She had moved to the Hidden Leaf as a kid and eventually married the man who became the Forth Hokage. The Kyuubi had attacked the village night she gave birth to my cousin, Naruto. I'd heard that she was the Kyuubi's holder, but she didn't seem like it.

  "You can call me 'mom' if you're up to it." She said bashfully. 

  "Okay... Mom." It sounded weird to me that I had said that. I never met my real parents, they had died when I was a wee baby.

  Kushina's eyes brightened. "All right then, Kara." She began, standing up. "We have to meet your teacher." 

  My newly dubbed Mom and I walked to the Academy. "Hey... Uh, where's Naruto?" I asked.

  "He's at school. We'll be there soon and you two can catch up." Came the response.

 I had only ever met Naruto and his mother at one of the silly clan reunions. Naruto can be kind of stupid at times, but my brilliance balanced us out. I smiled to myself. I'm not that much a genius. I just like strategy. Which Naruto lacked. 

  When we arrived, a lot of kids were leaving with parents or friends. An adult was standing at the school's gate. He had dark, spiky hair and a scar crossing his nose. 

  "I'm Iruka." He smiled, extending his arm to shake me hand. "Why don't you go play with the others out here while we get you signed up for school here?"

   I smiled and nodded. The two adults walked inside. The only people still on the playground were a bunch of older kids, probably getting ready for a demonstration or something. The other person here was the one and only Naruto Namikaze. He was sitting alone in a corner.

  "Hey, Naruto." I said, sitting down next to him.

  Naruto whipped his head around to see me. He grinned. "You made it!" He exclaimed, giving me a tight hug. 

  I reached over and rumpled his hair. "Wanna set something up so I don't have to explain the same thing over and over?" I asked

  Naruto's eyes lit up. "I'm a master prankster, so this will be easy! And we've got all weekend to plot!" And plot we did.