Chapter 5 - Home

I stood outside the school gates waiting for Naruto. After a few hours he and his team finally came out. He waved to Sasuke and Sakura before jogging over to me. 

  "Hey!" Naruto called. "Let's go home! I can't wait to tell you and Mom and Dad about today!" 

  We ran home. "We're home!" We said loudly as we came inside and took off our shoes. Mom walked over to us. 

  "Welcome back, kiddos. How was your day?" She asked.

  "It was awesome!" Naruto yelled. "I'm on a team with Sasuke and Sakura, but our sensei was really late."

  "Mine was good. My squad is alright, we get along well." I replied quietly. 

  "Good. You two go wash up, I'm making dinner." Mom said.

  Naruto and I walked up the stairs. "My sensei was really late." He repeated, evidently annoyed. "And he said that we can't eat breakfast in the morning! Can you believe him?" 

  I shook my head. If it was a survival exercise, why make them go without food? That's illogical! We washed up and went back downstairs. "Kara, who's your sensei?" Naruto asked.

  "Mom is." I replied, sweat dropping. "Of all the shinobi in the village, I got our mom."

  We kept talking about stuff like that, who was in what group, how our squads were, etcetera, etcetera.

    "Kara, will you come help set the table? And Naruto, help me bring the food in." Mom called from the kitchen. After we had all sat down to eat, Mom started asking Naruto questions. 

  Just then, the door opened. "I'm home!" Dad called. Mom went and greeted him. They probably did some gross kissing or something. Dad went and washed his hands in the kitchen before joining us in the dinning room.

  "Hi, Dad." My brother and I chorused.

  "Hey, kids." He smiled.

  "Who's your sensei, Naruto?" Mom asked.

  "His name's Kakashi Hatake. He was really late today." He replied. "Sasuke is on my team, and so is this girl, Sakura Haruno."

  Mom had froze when he said his sensei's name. "Kakashi?" She asked, her eyebrows furrowing. It was something Mom did when she was trying to figure something out. "I knew him... But he was an ANBU... Strange..." She looked at Dad.

  "He ... I'll tell you later, honey." He said apologetically. Then he turned to me. "Kara, how's having your mom for your squad leader?"

  "It's ... I dunno, it's okay. We have that test - thing tomorrow." My brother and I glaced at each other in exasperation. We hated tests. "Hey Mom? What should I call you now? In front of Emi and Kaito, I mean."

  "Hmm... In front of them you can just call me Mom. But if we're on a mission, call me 'sensei.'" She said, then turned to Naruto. "If Kakashi decides to use the bell test, team up. That's the purpose of it. Not to test your skill alone, but together; as a group." Dad shot Mom a look, but she just rolled her eyes.

  "Thanks, Mom! Also, Kakashi-sensei said not to eat breakfast." Naruto began. "That we'd throw up or something."

  "Got it." She replied.

  "Mom, are most of these tests teamwork - based?" I asked. She nodded in response.

  "Your group will most likely have to fight someone else. And since I gave Naruto the solution to his test, I'll do the same for you. You have to team up with a group from another class to fight a jonnin." She explained.

  I smirked at my brother.. He grinned right back at me.

  "So!" Mom started. "You two can clean the kitchen tonight in exchange for that info. Have fun!" She left the room as we groaned. Lame! 

  But... I'm glad I'm here. That I have a good family. Naruto's an awesome brother. I don't even think of him as my cousin anymore. Gah, why am I getting all sentiment? "Let's get this done, otouto!"