Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

I’m not tense, just terribly, terribly alert.

Unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“When exactly did you see Basher Thomas and Jack Peterson?” Detective Karr asks, as she looks up from her garden salad.

   Amy shrugs her good shoulder, drops of sauce flick onto the table as she slurps up a noodle.

   “It would’ve been June 12th,” Petra supplies.

   “You’re certain?”

   “The service station on the corner opposite the park has one of those large clock that flash the time and date. I have an eidetic memory; it was on the twelfth that we met Margret Paulson and Mark ran off.”

    “Eidetic, huh?” Karr nods once in acceptance before turning back to Amy. “And what street was that?”

   “Bastion Street, near the Jackson Point Estate Jewellers.”

   The plastic take away container emits a small thunk as it’s thrown to the table. “This wouldn’t be the same jeweller that was robbed on June twenty-first and was taken for one-point-six million in diamonds and other wares?”

   “Mm, funny about that.”

  The knock at the door causes everyone to freeze. Removing his gun, Detective Green approaches the door and then looks through the peephole before withdrawing the bolt. A rumpled Sargent Dooley pushes his way in before the door is fully opened.

     Rice explodes across the carpet as Petra jumps and races over to him. “Did you find him?”

    Shaking his head, Dooley opens a bottle of water and drinks deep.

    Amy’s voice brakes the silence. “Where’s your costume?”

    Water erupts as Dooley squeezes the bottle tight. “Costume? Costume. I don’t think you understand the magnitude of the mayhem that is happening outside. The rioter’s have taken over the city, cars overturned, buildings are on fire and that kid is in the worst of it.”

    “So what, you didn’t even try?” Amy screams, jumping out of her chair.

    “Of course I tried, I have spent the last two hours dodging decree while looking for the brat, but he isn’t there.”

    “Of course he is!” Petra yells coming to stand by Amy’s side. “He’s just hiding, but he won’t come out unless you’re dressed right.”

   Hooley throws the bottle against the wall in disgust as he roars, “I am not going out in that dressed like Peter Pan with huge rainbow fairy wings and a bloody clown’s wig! I wouldn’t last three seconds.”

    “You’re the only one left. Pete and I are stuck here and out of the two other people he trusts, one’s dead and the other’s still missing. Roman’s men must have figured out by now I have preformed a Howard Holt. They’re going to go after the few people I care about and that kid is at the top of that list. If you don’t have the balls to do what needs to be done, I’m off.”

   “You can’t leave,” Karr’s declares. 

    “Put it on at the last second,” Petra pleads. “Where a long coat over your clothes till you reach the statue then take it off for a minute or two. He’ll be watching, I know he will be. After that, put it back on and keep checking your pocket. When the note is gone, go wait in your car. You can’t leave him out there.”