Chapter Twenty-three

Oh freedom (freedom), freedom (freedom), freedom, yeah freedom

Freedom (freedom), freedom (freedom), freedom, ooh freedom

Aretha Franklin: Think

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Lyrics from last century played through my head as we abandoned the ring of light indicating Dicksonville’s borders. I didn’t care that it was dark. I didn’t care that it was cold. Help, I didn’t even care that some how the royal 'we' that used to refer only to Petra and myself had somehow managed to incorporate three more people. Well maybe that was a stretch but I refused to think about it that night.

     One hundred and ninety-six hours down and only four more to go. It was all I could do not to start dancing in the street. The others in the group did not seem to share my zeal. Jacob walked along placidly enough, his face depicting the same frustratingly content look like always. His smile had that same mysterious quality of the Mona Lisa; I could never tell what he was almost smiling about. Head down The Miner ambled along in Jacobs shadow looking as morose as ever. 

      Queenie had her arm flung over Petra’s shoulder as she nattered on about how all men were worthless rotters. Her “And I should know honey” comment even had me chuckling. Pete hiccupped then sighed as she laid her head on the taller transvestites shoulder. She still hadn’t forgiven Matt even though it had been a week and a half since his ‘resurrection’. The idiot had followed her around all yesterday not saying a word, trying to wait her out.

      Looking around I vaguely wondered when I had gotten so popular and why I hadn’t put a stop to it yet?  With a laugh I decided to tackle these troubling thoughts at a different date. I wasn’t going to let anything get in the way of my momentary happiness, or so I thought.

    “What?” I asked catching Mark with yet another bewildered look.

    “You’re smiling,” he answered, a frown formed on his brow.

    “I have been known to do that occasionally,” I chuckled, “What of it?”

    “It doesn’t suit you. You look kind of,” he paused for a second searching for the right word, “freaky.” I reached over, maybe to cuff his ears who knows, but he had already skittered to safety behind Jacob where he asked, “I just down get why you are so happy. This ends our guaranteed food supply.”

    “I’m happy because I don’t like being forced to do stuff and because I don’t have to put up with Kennan anymore. And food is there for people who are smart enough and fast enough to take it.”

     Up ahead a figure walked through one of the few still working streetlights and I saw Petra stiffen. Queenie rubbed her arm and leaned down to whisper something in her hear. Whatever it was seemed to strengthen her, for Pete stepped out of the embrace, raised her chin then marched off confidently.

    “Brrr, I just felt the temperature drop ten degrees,” Mark sniggered. That time he wasn’t fast enough. “Ow.”

   As Petra came level with him Matt pulled out a bunch of flowers from behind his back and offered it to her. Pete ignored the gesture and walked straight and tall passed him.

    “Flowers,” Mark scoffed, “What’s anyone supposed to do with flowers. Why didn’t he buy her something useful like a knife, food or new boots?”

   “Naw. Those things won’t work,” I muttered back, “He should have bought her one of those stupid soppy romance books where the hero stuffs up big time and the heroine forgives him anyway.”