Chapter Thirty-nine

Chapter Thirty-nine

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, dreamt of in your philosophy.

William Shakespeare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The next time I was fully... I don't know... awake...back?"

"Dezombified," Petra offers helpfully.

"That works," Amy tilts her head backwards over the top of the couch, to smile at Petra. "The next time I was dezombified, I was sitting in that interview room talking to dumb and dumber."

Amy stops talking instead tapping her hand on her knees waiting for a reaction.

Sonya's mouth opens and closes, she looks down at her notes and back again but doesn't say anything.

"So Annus wanted him killed because of the threat he posed?" Thompson asked.

"Apparently judging by what Roman hinted it might just be his fall back setting," Petra speculates remembering past newspaper articles, "If you think about it Annus' opposition usually end up disappearing or disgraced."

"And Roman?" A second officer asks, but the squawk of his radio prevents him from hearing the answer.

"Roman might have been pissed about his secrets being found. Pissed about the insult at Kathy's party too, come to think about it. But like he said, the hit was all about the money for him." Amy answers over the noise.

Intrigued Sonya leans forward asking, "Why would you say that?"

"Because he knew I had the info, not Jake. He knew it was in my bag, he would have found it there when the bag was given to him or seen Jacob pull it from my bag. Why he didn't ask for it is what has me puzzled."

"You said there was more, where's the rest?"

"If his place hasn't been hit by looters then there in the Kiwi cans in Troy's pantry." Amy answers soberly. "I never lied about that."

"Yet he didn't believe you." Thompson states strolling over the whisper in Sonya's ear, she nods before focusing back on the girls.

"Roman was always a paranoid bastard. Seeing betrayal at every corner. Without the support of his brother, Haka's death and anarchy in the streets, maybe he couldn't deal." Petra surmises walking over to place a hand on Amy's good shoulder.

"Why would Haka Troye have that kind of information any way?"

"That parts easy," Amy ventures, reaching up to give Petra's hand a pat, "Troye's little brother Roland was killed in a drive by back during the gangland wars. Troye mentioned he thought Roman had more to do with it then he let on. But he never found proof."

"And he worked for him anyway?" An officer asks.

"Can you think of a better way to investigate?" Amy calls not bothering to turn her head.

"The thing I never understood was how they found us. They obviously knew where to look but how did they know?" Petra looks down into her sister's face, "The people in the second car searched factory thoroughly after you were taken. They knew where we were."

"That would be my fault." A sheepish looking Mark stood in the doorway, hiding behind the casually dressed Dooley.

Petra squeals running forward to take him up in a tight hug. Amy rises but her reaction is much more reserve.

"I caught this one walking down the side of the road carrying the one side of a computer box." Dooley explains stepping inside and closing the door.

"I didn't mean to tell Amy, honest." Mark explains looking over Pete's shoulder, "When I lost you in the crowd I headed to the mall like you told me too but then I saw Andrea. She seemed so happy to see me, promising I could stay with her. She wanted to know all about what happened after she left and all about you and Jacob. It just sorta of slipped... out." His voice trailing off towards with his confession but grew again with conviction as he continued, "But as soon as I saw Andria come home counting those silver packets I demanded she tell me what happened. I left ran to warn you but it was already too late."

Amy shifts her weight to the side, crossing her arms, "So was that why you weren't at the pick up point?"

His voice is small as he answers, "Rule nine; never dog. I didn't think you'd want me around."

Amy walks over kneels in front of him, smiles then ruffles his hair. "Rule ten; Survive no matter what. Even at the expense of the first nine rules."

Mark smiles releasing Petra to throw his arms around Amy. Realizing his mistake he goes to pull back but Amy pulls him in tighter. "You ever do anything stupid like that again and I might just have to hang you up from your toe nails though." Despite the words her tone is light and teasing.

"Are we done now?" Petra asks while smiling down on the pair.

"Almost," Sonya reassures moving closer to the group, "Who fired the shot that started the riot? One of yours or one of them?"

"It was the blonde man Amy talked to that day she went off to bribe the Jacks," Mark answers helpfully.

Amy pulls back looking at him in shock asking, "Devlin?" at the same time Petra and Sonya demand to know how he knew.

Mark steps back a bit confusion flitting across his brow at the intensity of every ones response. "I... Delilah and I followed Amy that day. We wanted to see who was better at shadowing. We both hung back at first, but after the blonde guy spoke to her Amy become very distracted. Why are you all looking at me like that? Did I say something wrong?"

"No honey," Petra cooed, "Just last minute pieces falling into place."

"He would have been the fat pursed pigeon Roman hinted at," Sonya theories, "The one who told him about his Jesus delusions."

"It's a bit far fetched to kill your brother just because he thinks his the second coming," Thompson argues.

"Not when you take the money into consideration." Amy comments, standing up keeping one hand on Marks shoulder. "Detective Dumber mentioned something about Jacob being loaded."

Sonya nods, adding that to her notes. "That makes more sense. How would believe he was who he thought he was?"

"I do," Petra answers stepping closer.

"One minute Polly was dead, the next she wasn't. I do." Mark agrees.

Sonya looks to Amy hoping for a rational response.

"It's been two days since he died. Call me tomorrow when his body disappears."

Throwing her hands up she turns and begins collecting up her notes.

"Excuse me, ma'am," The young officer calls lowering his radio and moving over to her, "The cars are below ready to move. Shall I give the green light?"

"Yes. Were done for now." Snapping the locks of her attaché case she turns and smiling at the trio. "Are you ready to start your new lives?"

New lives? Mark mouths. But the girls just smile and nod. Collecting up their few belongings everyone was ready to go in minutes. Petra, Mark and the rest head out the door leaving Amy and Sonya alone for the moment.

"Your disease is terminal isn't it?" Amy guesses pausing in the doorway.

"I don't know what you mean." Sonya denies holding the door open and motioning her through.

"Yes you do," A triumphant smile spreading across Amy's face. "If it wasn't you wouldn't be trying so hard to hide it."

Sonya looks down at her watch, ignoring the jibe, "We have got to hurry."

Amy nods, as she passes the detective she comments, "Just remember pray, have faith and you will be healed."