VI. BLOOD IN THE BATHROOM

Beverly and Winnie chatted excitedly as they ascended the stairs to Beverly's apartment, both girls ecstatic to finally have a companion of the same gender

         "God, I'm so happy to have you." Winnie sighed, "You don't even know what I've been through. The boys dragged me through sewer water yesterday." She complained as they reached Beverly's door.

          Beverly scrunched up her face in disgust as she opened up door. The apartment was silent aside from the static coming from the television. Beverly brought a finger to her lips, motioning for Winnie to be quiet as they crept past Beverly's father, who was asleep on the couch. They made their way to Beverly's room and Beverly shut the door behind them.

"Welcome to casa de Marsh." She greeted, flopping onto her bed.

"I love your room." Winnie mused, as she looked around.

        She played a few notes on Beverly's keyboard but stopped upon Beverly commenting, "It seems like you love something else too." Beverly said slyly, "Or should I say someone else."

Winnie turned to face Beverly who was smirking at her, "What?" She asked, her voice strained

Beverly batted her eyelashes and quoted, "'I had fun with you today.' You were like, so heart eyes for him."

"You think I like Richie?" Winnie questioned in disbelief, as if her denying it would somehow make it untrue, "No way."

"I saw you two at the barrens!" Beverly insisted, "You were all over eachother."

Winnie rolled her eyes as she sat beside Beverly on the bed, "You're imagining things." She said. Beverly gave her a stern look and Winnie added, "I mean, even if I did like Richie it wouldn't matter. He definitely doesn't-" Winnie quickly correct herself, not wanting to give herself away, "I mean, he wouldn't like me back. I'm pretty sure he was in love with my sister."

"Whatever!" Beverly laughed, pushing Winnie's shoulder, "He wouldn't stop looking at you today."

       "I probably had something on my face." Winnie said, brushing Beverly's comment off. She refused to believe anyone would like her, let alone Richie. He was cute and funny and brave. And Winnie was... just Winnie. What would he see in her?

        Beverly rummaged through her bag as she listened to Winnie. She was about to argue with her when she found a post card in her bag that she definitely hadn't put in there herself. She pulled it out and looked at it in confusion.