XV. SUMMERTIME SADNESS

WINNIE WONDERED WHAT WAS worse, having never had friends at all or losing the only ones she'd ever known

WINNIE WONDERED WHAT WAS worse, having never had friends at all or losing the only ones she'd ever known. Either way, she had never felt more miserable. Since the group's fallout, Winnie had spent a lot of time with Beverly, but it wasn't the same without everyone together. She missed The Losers Club more than anything in the world. 

She missed Ben rattling off facts about the history of Derry off the top of his head. She missed Stan naming every bird they encountered. She missed Mike, who would always laugh at her stupid puns even though he said he hated them. She missed trying to come up with fun things for the group to do with Bill. She missed rolling her eyes at the other boys with Beverly. She even missed Eddie's constant reminders that everything around them was germ infected. But most of all, she missed Richie.

No matter how mad Winnie felt, she still missed him. He'd made her laugh more in three months than she had in her entire life.

Winnie did her best to not think about Richie as she loaded up the basket on her bike with a blanket, her radio, her polaroid camera and three bottles of Coca-cola. Yet as she began to ride down the street, she couldn't help but stop and look at Richie's house.

She wondered what he'd been doing since their fight. Had he been at home, miserable, stuck with no one but his alcoholic mother? Or had he already found another pretty girl to make laugh? Winnie hoped neither of them were true as she looked up at the window to Richie's bedroom.

The blinds were open, but the lights were off, he wasn't home. Winnie sighed. She didn't know what she had expected anyways. It wasn't as if she even wanted to talk to Richie, even if she missed him so much it hurt. He'd said unforgivable things to her.

Winnie looked away and kicked off on her bike.  She rode to the barrens in silence, and tried to enjoy the sunshine beating down on her face. Summer vacation would be over soon.

Beverly and Bill were already waiting on the cliff's edge when Winnie arrived. They were laughing together and looking down at the water. The sight of them made Winnie's heart hurt a little. She loved hanging out with the both of them but the way they looked at each other with such adoration made her feel so lonely.

"Hey, W-Win." Bill greeted as she approached them

"Hey lovebirds." Winnie replied, causing Bill's cheeks to flush red. She sat across from the two of them and handed them each a bottle of Coke.

The three of them drank their beverages and enjoyed the sunshine, chatting casually with one another. As they finished their drinks, Beverly began to fan her face.

"Can we swim now?" She asked, "It's so hot."

Winnie nodded and they sat their now empty glass bottles aside. They undressed and Beverly, who was the most eager to plunge into the water, leaped off of the cliff without hesitation. Winnie laughed, admiring her bravery.