XXI. SEPTEMBER

SUNLIGHT STREAMED THROUGH THE window of the kitchen in the Finch household

          SUNLIGHT STREAMED THROUGH THE window of the kitchen in the Finch household. The smell of bacon filled the morning air and for the first time in what felt like forever, the sound of children's laughter echoed through the room.

          Winnie and Richie sat at the kitchen table beside Theodore Finch, who was quietly sipping his coffee. The two of them were munching on toast as they talked about how much they were dreading returning to school. Richie was entertaining Winnie by imitating a certain teacher that the two of them absolutely loathed.

          Richie had originally only come to retrieve Winnie, as they were supposed to meet the rest of the Losers, but her parents insisted he stay for breakfast. In the weeks since they'd been introduced to Winnie's boyfriend, they'd gone out of their way to be as inviting as possible. Richie came over for dinner almost every night, they invited him out to the movies on Saturday nights and carted he and Winnie around wherever they wanted to go. They'd taken more interest in Richie than his own parents ever had. They found him to be hilarious and charming, and in return Richie tried to keep his jokes PG.

          As they finished their meals, the two of them found themselves having to resist practically running out of the house, eager to see their friends. Since their escape from the sewers, it seemed that the eight of them had began to see each other less and less, so they cherished the time that they did spend together.

          "Bye mom, bye dad." Winnie bid her parents farewell, kissing each of them on the cheek on her way out the door.

          "Bye Mr. and Mrs. Finch!" Richie called, following after her.

          Outside, they mounted their bikes and took off to meet with their friends, and though they didn't know it, it would be for the last time that summer.

          The losers were playing tag by the time Richie and Winnie reached them. Their laughter rang melodically through the meadow as they chased one another back and forth, their grins never leaving their faces.

          Bill was it, and he set his sights on small Eddie Kaspbrack, who turned and ran away from him with a laugh. As he spun away from Bill, his eyes fell upon the couple in front of him and his smile grew even wider.

          "She's here guys! She's here!" Eddie said excitedly. His announcement caused the others to stop running, and they each turned to face Richie and Winnie. Seeing them, Stan raised his eyebrows in surprise and ran to a log where the others had all left their belongings. Winnie tried to see what his he was hiding, but Eddie had grabbed onto hers and Richie's hands and dragged them towards the rest of the group.

           "What's all the fuss about?" Winnie laughed

          "We g-g-got you something." Bill said sheepishly. "We all p-p-pitched in, b-but it was Richie's idea m-mostly."