Chapter 2

Alaska

Percy entered the meeting room, acknowledging the communications officer's grunt of "Director Fury's on the line sir" and stepped inside, the doors sliding shut behind him to give him a semblance of privacy. As soon as he stepped in, the screen flickered to life, displaying the head of SHIELD in all his eye-patched glory. "Sir," he saluted. Fury nodded, gesturing for him to be at ease. "Agent Jackson," he barked, "Report."

"Sir," he began, "Other than the sudden energy spike that occurred at 2045 hours yesterday, there have been no further changes of interest. Stark and Banner are constructing a device that would theoretically allow them to shut down a portal. Well," he amended, "Stark is doing the constructing; Banner is keeping an eye on the reading."

Fury nodded, looking marginally pleased that things were going smoothly for once. He fixed his lone eye on the raven haired boy, "And the power source?" Percy straightened at that, "Sir, our scientists have found nothing inconclusive. The...power, it disrupts electronic devices sporadically, so they can't get regular readings. That, and they can't even go near it."

"Why not?" Fury asked. "Because it retaliates. That thing seems to have a mind on its own sir. It lashes out at anyone who goes near it. It's a good thing that we have that barrier to prevent any direct contact, but it makes getting samples about near impossible." Percy watched as Fury's face hardened, a sign that he was well, furiously contemplating this turn of events, deciding not to tell Fury about how the power called to him.

"Continue to monitor the situation agent Jackson, see if you can find a way to transport the power."

"Sir, that thing attacks anyone who goes near it." Percy replied, sarcasm lacing his words.

Fury just leaned back and smirked, "Well then Agent, I suppose you'll have to come up with a plan then."

Percy scowled, hating the way Fury always expected him to do something impossible like transporting a liquid that refuses to get close to anyone. He sighed, "Yes sir. I'll try my best, no promises tho-" he was thrown against the table as the whole base shook from the force of the explosion. Fury tensed, "What's going on over there Agent?" Percy hissed, slamming the door open, "What the Had-hell is going on here?!" he bellowed, taking in the alarm blaring and the SHIELD agents frantically running around. "Sir," one of them stopped, "we're under attack!" Percy snarled, "I know that, I'm asking who?"

Another agent stopped, "It seems to be the Chitauri sir! A portal has opened! They're infiltrating the base!" Percy's eyes widened, he cursed and turned to the communications officer who was contacting SHIELD headquarters for reinforcement. "Connect the director to my transmitter, I need mobility, and get me Stark and Banner's lab now!"

He didn't wait for the guy's nod of assent, knowing that he would get it done soon. Sure enough, a few seconds later, he heard the director's furious hissing in his ear. "Jackson, report now!" "Sir," he said, gritting his teeth as he ran down the hallways, "The Chitauri are back, they opened a damn portal here. I have no idea where it is but my guess is that they want what's in the basement. I guess I'll get my chance to try transporting that damn thing."

Percy sprinted down the hallways, forgoing the lift and taking the stairs two at a time. When he reached the basement, he slowed, pulling his gun from its holster. Contrary to popular belief, he wasn't stupid, and if his suspicions were correct, then the Chitauri would be on this level. He crept down the hallway, the silence permeating the level making him twitch in discomfort. He rounded the corner, his gun swinging in front of him. He grimaced when he saw the bodies of the two guards, both with their throats slashed open, their blood painting the ground red. He inched his way closer to the broken remains of the metal door, as silent as a ghost. He could hear the Chitauri's chittering and he leaned carefully around the door, peering into the lab.