Chapter 47

Three weeks passed. A month. One and a half.

No sound from Thanos. Not even a whisper.

The Asgardians grew restless from the suspense, milling about every day, their hands twitching non-stop on the pommel of their sword. Even the Avengers were not spared from the anxiety the tension in the air caused. After the first few days of waiting, they returned to the clearing they had been in before the attack happened, sparring with one another, burning off the energy that they had. In the day, if they weren't sparring, they were helping to clear the bodies of the chitauri off the ground. At night, they all retreated to the room that Percy was in, watching over him like silent sentinels.

Days after Clint had that late night talk with Loki on the roof, the healers chased them all out of Percy's room, having tripped over them one too many times when they came in to check on the demigod. They still went to visit him when they could, but every time, the healers reported that there was no change in him. That despite his healing progress, he still refused to talk.

Then, one day, when they were in the clearing, a healer ran up to them, asking breathlessly if they had seen Percy. When they all replied in the negative, the healer looked ready to faint by the way she paled drastically, until Steve suggested that they split up and search. It wasn't until Bruce stumbled to the room where Percy had trained with Frigga that he found the demigod. He called out to Percy, but the hero didn't seem to hear him, concentrating solely on fighting for after invisible foe.

"Percy?" The doctor asked hesitantly, closing the door behind him as he stepped into the vast room. The demigod didn't reply, still twirling his sword and alternating between defensive moves and offensive moves.

Bruce sighed softly and tried again, louder this time, "Percy?"

This time, the demigod paused mid-swing, but didn't turn around.

Bruce hesitated, silently wondering when the temperature in the room dropped. "Percy, its late, shouldn't you be resting?"

Percy straightened out of his stance and turned towards Bruce, who flinched at the deadened look in the younger boy's eyes, "I have been resting for too long," he rasped, his voice still hoarse from weeks of unused, "A war is coming, I don't have time to lie down."

"Percy," Bruce tried again, "Your wound is still healing, it wouldn't be a good idea to aggravate it –" he cut himself off at the angry snarl that erupted from the other person in the room. Hearing that, Bruce could admit that Percy was seeming a hell lot scarier now, even if he had the Hulk in him. He gulped nervously as boiling green eyes bore into his own, "Ah yes, the wound." Percy growled, "Better for me to start training to return the favor to the one who gave me this wound."

"Percy –"

The demigod cut him off with a wave of his hand, glaring daggers at the wall, "He betrayed us Bruce. Gave the Gauntlet to him like the obedient pet he is." The hero lifted a hand, gingerly touching the bandages that wrapped around his throat, "I will not forgive him." He hissed.

Bruce looked down, feeling sadness well up within him. He swallowed loudly and said, "Try not to stay up too late Percy. You still need your rest." And left the way he came.

Alone in the room once more, Percy allowed his mask to crack, revealing the pain and exhaustion that he had hidden from his friend as he slid to his knees. He bowed his head and squeezed his eyes shut, trying to block off the memories that surfaced. A low keening sound escaped his lips, and Percy pressed a palm against his face, trying to suppress the sound of his agony.

A few droplets splashed against the ground.

When the Avengers regrouped again, Bruce told them about his findings, shaking his head at their insistence on talking to Percy.