Chapter 9

Thor trudged to his room, shedding his cape and armor and collapsing on the bed like a marionette whose string had been cut. He felt weary, wearier than he had ever felt before. Thor felt tendrils of doubt seep into his mind, was he doing the right thing? Insisting that Loki be sent to Midgard. What if his friends disagreed? What if Loki went out of control? What if, what if, what if...

Thor was broken out of his reverie by a knock on his door. Taking a moment to compose himself, he said, "Come in."

The door opened to reveal his mother in all her flawless glory. Her curled golden hair was pinned up neatly by the sides of her head, allowing the waves to cascade gently down her back, her white tunic wrapped around her like a cloak, the ends of it trailing behind her. Even in a simple white gown, Thor thought, his mother's beauty and grace rivaled no other. She smiled at him, "Thor." She greeted her son.

Thor stood before her, bending to hug her, "Mother." He greeted back, stepping backwards to allow her into his room. He closed the door quietly, "Mother, what, if I may ask, are you doing here?"

Frigga smiled, "Can't a mother come visit her child?"

Thor's face reddened, he looked down sheepishly, feeling like he was 820 years old* again. Frigga laughed, "Oh Thor, you don't need to look so troubled. You are doing the right thing."

Thor looked up in surprise, "How...?"

Frgga gave a knowing smile, "I am your mother Thor, every mother knows her children well."

"Then how can you know if what I am doing is right? What if by freeing Loki I am setting things into motion that would result in grave consequences? What if Loki wreaks havoc on Midgard? What if I am wrong about everything?"

He bowed his head and whispered, "What if I am wrong about Loki?"

"Shhh," Frigga soothed, running a hand through his dirty blond locks, looking at him with sadness evident in his eyes, "I will tell you what I told your father, you and Loki belong together. You both are two sides of the same coin, without Loki, there is no Thor. And without Thor, there is no Loki. People call him the dark prince, and they call you the golden prince. It may be said in jest and ridicule, but their words hold truth." She hushed Thor's protests, lifting a finger to his mouth. "Loki is the darkness to your light. Every candle casts a shadow. You both were meant to complement each other."

She looked down in regret, "The bond you both had was meant to last through the ages. But," she looked up at him again, her eyes shining with hope, "Perhaps through this way, you both will forge another bond. One that is stronger than the one you lost."

Thor looked at her, feeling comforted but thoroughly confused, "I...I do not understand mother."

Frigga smiled at her eldest, "Oh Thor, I cannot say any more, but you are both my sons, I have brought the both of you up regardless of background. Do you not think that a mother would not know her own child? Loki belongs beside you Thor, he watches your back, and you watch his."

"He hates me mother," Thor said, "He told me so himself on Midgard."

Frigga gave a knowing smile, "Trust me my son, when I tell you that your brother does not hate you. Now," she said, getting up, placing a hand on her son's shoulder, "get some rest, you look exhausted. I will tell the maids to wake you for dinner."

Thor nodded silently, leaning into her touch for a moment like he did so when he was younger. Frigga glided out of his room, shutting the door behind her silently. Thor climbed under the covers, remembering how Loki used to sneak in his room and climb under his covers, snuggling into his side when they were children. He closed his eyes, regret tainting his heart for a moment before he fell into a dreamless sleep.