Chapter 1: Unapproved, Unacknowledged

“Justine, take out the garbage!” said my mother.

I was just lazily lying in bed. I heard her, but I didn’t respond. I was too busy thinking about my mother and her boyfriend. Ever since she has been dating him haven’t really been as close to her anymore like before. I never really liked him. He always asks me random questions about my appearance, how school is going for me even though he knows I’m homeschooled, and how my mom talks about him; it always gets on my last nerve. He’d always question me about my blue eyes, and layered brown hair, why I appear so thin to him or anyone else for that matter. Personally, I don’t really care for him. But I defiantly do care for my mom. She’s so beautiful, I don’t know why she’s dating Chris. She has long thick curly brown hair, green/blue eyes, and has an hourglass figure and was tall enough to pull it off. Unlike me, I’m a stick. Chris was never attractive to me. He was too thin for my mom; he has short but long black hair and was only a couple inches taller than her.

 My father wouldn’t like him either. Unfortunately, he died when I was 12 of an Advil overdose. I still question why he did it. I never really talked to my mother about it because when she found out, she was speechless. I left her alone to this day about it. She most likely is over it by now. I don’t really talk about it because I was never close to my dad.

“JUSTINE.”

“I’m coming.” I said calmly. I got up and off of my bed and walked to the kitchen where the trash can was at.

“It’s about time” my mom said

“Sorry... I was thinking about something”

“You know, you always do this! At least respond to me when I say something. I know you heard me the first time.”

“Okay.” I grabbed the trash bag from the trash can and went outside to take it out. As I walked back in my mom was just giving me unusual eye contact. “Are you okay?”

“No. Are you okay?” she said strangely.

“I’m fine, why?”

I felt like she was trying to hide something.

“Never mind. Um, I have something I been needing to tell you.”

“What happened?”

“You see, me and Chris have been dating for quite a while a-“

“3 years.”

“Yes. Well, I we been doing a lot of thinking. And we both made the decision for me to move in with him.”

“WHAT?! There is no way I’m living with him. I won’t allow it.”

“That’s why I’ve been needing to tell you for a while. I’m still going to own the house we live in now so just in case something goes wrong with in Chris’ house we’ll always have a place to stay just in case.”

“Well I’m not going to live in a house with him.”

She didn’t even acknowledge what I have to say about this. She just didn’t care. So when I try to make a decision for myself and she doesn’t approve of it, I’ll do it anyways or just not tell her. Then again, what could I possible decide on? I have nothing going for me.

“I knew already. I trust you to keep this house safe.” She said thinking that I don’t do anything in this house anyways.

“Anyway to avoid living with him…” I said whispery to myself

Days have passed. Soon enough the day had come, my mom was beginning to start packing her bags to move into Chris’ house. I never really remembered how many days ago I found out. To be honest I never really cared. Since my mom pulled that selfish act on me. Whatever. I’m going to be on my own now. But it was always like that. So my mother moving never really changes anything.