Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

A Queen for a King

"Why the Hell didn't you tell me you had a mate?"

His seething tone brought me out of my shocked and entranced state and stumbled me back to reality.  Julian was here, and he was so angry it looked like steam was coming out of his ears.

"I—I didn't think it was important, plus all we usually talked about was Infernum Canis anyway so I—"

"So what? You didn't think it important or wise to tell me of this crucial detail in your past? I thought he was dead or something, but to know that you would reject your mate for a warrior status is just irreversible, it is unfeeling, it is—"

"I never rejected anyone!" I said, cutting him off.  He looked almost surprised at what I had said, but was angry at my outburst and cutting him off while he was talking.

He was still wearing his clothes from the night before, the slicked back look in his hair long gone after the long night, and it looked as if he had been running his hands through them frequently, making me wonder if he was...worried about me?

"What do you mean, you didn't reject anyone? You have a mate out there who—"

"Exactly, a mate who rejected me, not the other way around. I don't like being accused of things I haven't done, not even from a King and I will defend myself from false allegations no matter who the accuser.  Now, do you have any other questions your highness? I would be happy to answer them for you."

He looked astonished, sad, confused and angry all at the same time.  As if he couldn't believe that I had been rejected.

"That's not possible, who would ever reject you, tolkova krasiva..."

I didn't speak Bulgarian but at that moment in time I wished I had taken up Alexei on her offer to teach me the basics of the language five years ago.  Maybe I'd start learning now...

"He told me that I was weak, the circumstances of how I'd been let into his pack were spotty and my family was granted Beta position without challenge, they thought we gained our position without cause and didn't trust us, and he told me he couldn't have me as a Luna.  However, when he saw how I fought at the Warrior Summit, he suggested we try at a relationship, behind his girlfriend's back and I would just be his mistress, while he gave the Luna title to someone else."

God it hurt thinking about the past, and even worse telling someone as perfect as Julian my dirty laundry, he surely must think me so pathetic now.

"I called him a weak and pathetic excuse for a wolf after he threatened to tell the pack I was fleeing my duties as rightful Luna but when I reminded him that he was the one who rejected me and that rejection was almost illegal in that pack I left, and here we are."

He walked over towards me slowly, almost as if approaching a deadly feral animal out in the open.  He was being cautious with me, for what reason I didn't know.  He knew I was telling the truth, he could hear it in my heart beat.