17. A Life Without You

Song: Mujhe Teri - Paathshaala by Tulsi Kumar & Hanif Sheikh

===

I got to school early the next day. Instead of going to morning assembly, I went straight to class. I could hear the announcements from the classroom. I listened to them with a numb feeling inside my chest. Few minutes later, students started to come inside.

Armaan took a seat next to me, but I had my head on the desk. I didn't look up at him until he asked, "How was your date last night?"

Once again, Angad's words echoed in my head. Was Armaan asking because he was jealous? "Just great." I mumbled, more to myself, annoyed that Angad's words were getting to me.

"Oh."

It was then that I realized I had said it out loud and he took that as an answer to his question. Now, it was truly just great, note the sarcasm. The last thing I need is to give him a false impression.

The bell rung and the professor stood up to make announcements, "Alright students, take out your labs. We'll be starting on a new group project today."

Unlike what you may see or read in movies and books, we didn't send out collective groans or complain about group projects. We were all used to it. It was long decided that those who sat next to us were our lab partners – and the teacher hadn't assigned those seats. There was no reason we would have disliked our lab partners.

I lifted my head from the desk and blinked a few things to adjust to the brightness. "Yes, Malini?"

"Ma'am, Trisha isn't here today. Do you want me to work by myself?" She asked in a falsetto voice, making me internally cringe at the high pitch.

"No, join another group." Mrs. Sharma went on to write the lab number and page number on the board. Malini turned around in her seat and faced us. Guess we are the lucky ones to be seated behind her.

"You guys don't mind, do you?" She asked, but her attention was only on Armaan as she blinked continually with an innocent face.

"Not at all." Armaan answered, offering her a smile, confusing me. One day, he hates her. Next day, he smiles at her?

Malini grinned and placed her book on the desk. "Great! You're so sweet, Armaan. Thanks."

"Ofcourse, babe. Can't leave you to work on your own now, right?" He flirted back, making me want to gouge out my own eyes. I never bothered getting angry at any of the girls he flirted with. Malini though? She made me want to be violent. She's had it out for me, and Armaan knew that!

I snapped at both of them. "If you two are done flirting, can we get started?"

"Jeez, what's up your ass?" Malini muttered, forcing me to roll my eyes at her.

I had to endure their flirtatiousness throughout the class period. Armaan barely helped with the lab, which was completely unlike him. He loved chemistry. He always looked forward to the lab days as he could play around with the chemicals. Today, he looked least interested. He was more interested in Malini.

I was getting annoyed at his latest pick while he wasn't interested in Chemistry.

Something was seriously wrong.

I could even blame my irritation on lack of sleep last night, but what was his reason?

At lunch, Malini decided to invite herself to seat at our table, pulling the excuse that Trisha wasn't here and she usually sat at lunch with her. When she joined the cafeteria line, Khushi asked me, "Why is she here?"