24. Not An Option

I forgot to post this yesterday, idk how :O SORRY! 

===

Riddhima wasn't as naïve as she would have been a year ago. And so, she did see what she was trying to do. She had played it safe till now. Even though she recalled Abhi's words, she reached for his hand on her shoulder. "Armaan, we don't have to play these games, okay? You and Khushi are family for me, you already know that. But yes... Khushi and you do hold a place in my heart and her place is different than yours."

"I hope you know how very sorry I am that I said those things to you back then." He mentioned the night that had ended their friendship – all thanks to the horrible words he'd spoken. "I didn't mean any of it."

She smiled at him, "Ofcourse I know that. You were being a jerk then, yes, but I did understand where you were coming from."

"Is that why you left?" He challenged her stance and past actions, "You didn't even give me a chance to apologize. You know, I came back that night."

"I know, mom told me." She nodded along as he didn't need to explain to her what he'd done after. She might not have stayed in touch with him last summer after it all happened, but her mom would tell her everything.

"Do you think you could ever forgive me?" He asked with all the vulnerability in the world. Her forgiveness, her acceptance, her love... it all meant everything to him and more.

"Armaan, yes I was really hurt you said those things to me." She began to explain her side in a calm tone and working on not letting her emotions sweep her away, "But, I also knew where I stood. Khushi is my best friend and will always be. I would do anything for her, sacrifice anything without a blink of an eye and you... Do you remember that time I said something about your parents and you got mad? Khushi had to lock us up in her room to get us to talk to each other again?"

He nodded, clearly recalling that argument. It was one of their bigger fights, but not the biggest.

"Yeah, so you see, we've both hurt each other plenty of times and more than my forgiveness, you need to be able to forgive yourself." She gave him the advice.

"But I said such mean things to you."

"Yes, but you forget that I'm not ignorant to your anger, Armaan, and when it's come to your sister, you've always been the most protective one. If you think I can ever hate you for the way you love her, then you couldn't be more wrong. It's one of your best features," she chuckled lightly before confessing, "actually, the first reason I fell for you."

He glanced away from her eyes, blushing a little at the compliment. Riddhima didn't compliment him often... well, more like never. It was a feeling in itself to receive a compliment from the person you are in love with.

She cleared her throat and tried to not be awkward after she realized her small acceptance of feelings, "Um, yeah. I think I'll go check if dad's done with his work."

She stood up and started walking towards the door. He called, "Hey, Riddhima?"

"Yeah." She twisted her head back in his direction.

He stood up from the couch and closed the distance between them in an embrace. "I missed you."

===

[Two Weeks Later]

Riddhima arrived at the airport and Kripa picked her up. She was back in Australia. She didn't want to. She wanted to stay in India for the summer, help Khushi and Armaan through these tough times – but both of them had forced her to go back and not cancel her summer courses. It was a university requirement to take atleast two summer semester with a total of 15 credit hours combined. Riddhima had already signed up for classes earlier, but then with everything that happened with their parents, she didn't mind taking the summer off.