the world around him

The only light shining through the rooms small window was the only thing comforting him on this night. When everyone he cared about was around, he was never alone. He was always smiling, and laughing. Thinking how he wishes he would never have to see anyone go.

Its been exactly two years that the world had gone to war with itself. He didnt know the reason why. He only remembered that he was on his way to meet his friends and walk to their morning class when he heard a jet roaring through the sky. Next thing he knew the newly made football field was in ashes. Then there was people screaming, running and a lot more things were being bombed.

Flashback

Hongseok ran towards the college to see if any of his friends were at the spot. When he arrived out of breath he could only see smoke. He yelled out each of their names with no one answering back. He called out a few more times and then decided to go hide in the college's basement. He figured that's probably where they went.

As he ran he saw things he wished he could forget. Buildings he once new as famous restaurants, clothing stores, shoe stores, hospitals, gaming areas, and more were all destroyed he could barely tell which was where. He kept running, dust now all over him, his newly bought shoes covered in dirt, his hair and face. He began crying hoping his friends were all okay, that no one was hurt. He pushed himself to run much faster.

He reached the school, the main entrance was still okay at least. He entered it, the tears slowing down as he headed through the halls to the stairs that led to the basement. He saw the door he recognized all too well and opened the door, looking for the switch and flicking it on and off. Nothing. Sighing he took out his phone and turned on its flashlight. He looked down at the stairs. Jumping and looking back down the halls as he heard another bomb hit close by. Hongseok would never admit this aloud, but he was scared. He decided not to think about the worst case scenario and trudged down the stairs. He looked at the percentage of his phone and thanked God he had charged it this morning before leaving his place.

The thing about Hongseok was that he lived alone ever since he was a child. His parents died on their honeymoon cruise. There was a storm one night and only a few had survived it. He remembered because he was nine years old. He had stayed at his best friends house for that week. Once they got the call they had no choice but to leave him with social services. He was an orphan the next day. No family of his wanted him. They took him to the orphanage downtown where he stayed until he turned sixteen. He found a job and his manager, Park Jisoo, allowed him to stay in one of the rooms in the building. Two years had passed he became so close with Jisoo, who was only five years older than Hongseok, so they treated and saw each other as brothers. He studied hard and took the entrance exams that Jisoo encouraged him to take. He missed Jisoo so much. He passed a year after they had found out he had stage 1 cancer, three years before the war began, and up until then was his only real family. He took over the small business as Jisoo told him to and had to hire a few employees.

Before Jisoo had passed though he was accepted into college and made amazing nine best friends who were his second family. They were there for him when Jisoo passed and helped him get back on his feet and not give up on his life that Jisoo encouraged him to have. All nine of his friends, Huitaek, Hyojong, Yanan, Changu, Wooseok, Yuto, Shinwon, Jinho and Kino, were the second best things to happen to him. It was in his first year of college while he was looking for his dance class that he met three out of the nine. Kino, Shinwon and Hyojong. He met Changu and Yanan in his drama class. Yuto and Wooseok in music class. The last two, Jinho and Huitaek were in his vocal class. Shinwon always asked Hongseok how he was and invited him out many times so they grew close. He told Shinwon everything not knowing at first if he could trust him, but after finding out that Shinwon lost his older sister to something similar he was touched. They grew close and hung out everyday after that, sometimes with the guys. He didnt know at first that all nine of them knew each other since middle school, until they invited him to go camping. He enjoyed hearing their stories. When they asked him he didn't know how to tell them, he looked to Shinwon who told him it was okay to tell.

They all stuck by his side ever since that night. More even after Jisoo. He never found them annoying. He loved them as his brothers.

End flashback

Hongseok got up from his one layered bed on the ground and walked towards the small window staring at the moon that shone brightly. He could see all the stars. To this day he hasn't found anyone alive.

"Why. Just why." He asked the moon and stars. He closed his eyes taking a deep breath and went back to his bed. A tear rolled down his face.

That night Hongseok fell asleep feeling more empty than before everything began.

Hi there, it's me Eva, the author of this story. It's my first time ever writing a story online for the world to see. If you guys enjoyed reading this chapter please let me know in the comments and if you wish to read more chapters, thank you. I hope you all enjoy.