Chapter XVII

Chapter Seventeen // Purity

Days after hearing what Alex had said about my father made me feel sick to my stomach but I kept trying to deny it.

Alex took a week off from work so we are all able to go to New Jersey. I am placing my last bag in the car and letting out a soft sigh trying to forget everything from the past couple of weeks.

"Are you ready?" Katie asked me.

I nod mutely and get inside the van.

We were going by plane with me, Katie, triplets, Eric and Eli were going two days before and Caleb, Landon, twins, Danny, Carter, Wyatt and Alex were taking a plane two days later since Alex had to be at work for those two extra days.

I got in the van trying to think of something happy but thinking seemed impossible. Katie was on her phone trying to get the directions to the airport. Eli got in humming whatever was playing on the radio then the other four slowly made their way to the car talking about whatever was so important to them. None of them, except for Katie and Alex, knows what's going on with me. None of them has asked either.

Jayden, Hayden and Kayden moved all the way in the back while Eric sat in the middle with Eli and I sat in the front waiting for Katie to pull out.

Once Katie decided to go the guys were yelling at me to change the radio to sports.

I did and they shut up and sat back listening to how baseball season was over.

I placed my headphone in my ears and closed my eyes in hopes that I could be able to get over this pain.

+.+.+.+.+.+.+.+

"When are we going to see him?" Eli asked looking over at me and then his mom.

"In a few days sweetie." Katie smiled.

"Why aren't you jumping for joy. We're in New Jersey for your sake. Aren't you wanting to see anyone?" Jayden asked becoming suspicious once again.

"I'm tried Jayden. Can't I just be tired?" I asked.

"I mean you can be but I would think you'd still be excited." Jayden said holding his bag outside my old home which is just a townhouse.

I unlocked the door and walked in and coughed. I forgot how much it wreaked. It smelt of alcohol and smoke covering the walls.

"Why does it smell bad?" Eli plugged his nose.

"My dad used to drink a lot and smoked Eli." I muttered walking into the house trying to forget it.

Memories washed through my brain and the remainder of her washed through.

"Erika!" My mom called out for me.

I stomped my way down stairs feeling angry.

"What!" I hiss.

"Why aren't you dressed for school? You're going to be late." She had a soft tone in her voice that was relaxing.

"Why are you dying? See mom there's a million questions to yet be answered." I stormed back up the stairs slamming my door.

"Erika! Honey!" She sounded like it pained her just to speak to me.

My dad and mom acted as if nothing was happening to her. Like there was always going to be a tomorrow with her.

I was cleared from my thoughts when Eli screamed.

"Rat!"

I jumped out of my thoughts and before Eli killed the thing with a empty beer bottle I picked up this creature.