Quidditch Beginnings at Midnight

Slamming her face into a pillow, Y/N  screamed in muffled frustration. Second year proved to be significantly more overwhelming, her mind racing with the multitude of responsibilities thrust at her and the anxiety of the looming Quidditch match. She needed to get this potions assignment finished and handed in before supper in order to be mentally present at the upcoming quidditch practices. Gryffindor vs. Slytherin games were no joking matter, as was made painfully clear by the burning sensation that engulfed her body every time she moved, her muscles screaming at her in protest, all thanks to the team captain, Marcus Wood, and his daily, invigorating practice routine. She didn't know how he reasoned running laps would help her catch the snitch during the weekend's game but she knew better than to argue with him during his pre-game mindset.  After all, he had basically scouted her. She smiled softly at the memory. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

The first week of school had already started weighing on Y/N's shoulders. Of course, as usual, Potions and Defense Against the Dark Arts came to her like a breeze. Unfortunately, her skill in dueling did not write her essays for her. Y/N found herself having less and less time to enjoy the nightly ritual she had developed for herself in Year 1.

 It was a Friday when Y/N had decided to set everything aside and venture out onto the tree that had ended up bringing the boys into her life. She found her hands shaking as she set the disillusionment charm, heart hammering and the nerves stirring up a storm in her stomach. She hadn't sneaked out in months now. Would she still be able to do it without getting caught? She wasn't as small as she used to be. Swallowing her apprehension, Y/N silently crept out of the portrait hole.

She made her way to the familiar tree, swaying softly in the wind in the court yard. It was a beautiful night; one of those autumn nights that smells like a childhood memory one can't quite place but pulls at one's heartstrings nonetheless; where there's a slight chill in the air, hints of frost decorating the blades of grass to give a satisfying crunch under one's feet and the feel of wind drifting through Y/N's hair made her feel invincible. The moon cast a haunting glow on the abandoned ground and the slight smell of impending rain hung in the air. She shivered slightly as she began to climb the tree but stopped in her tracks when she heard a noise. Holding her breath and reminding herself it was near impossible to see her, she followed the noise, her heart beating wildly against her rib cage. The source of the noise was coming from the same courtyard, that was for sure, but she couldn't see anyone. Surely nobody else had learned how to do a Disillusionment Charm yet? Unless it was a professor but that made no sense. They had no need to hide.

Turning a corner, she stared with wide eyes as the broomstick shed opened by itself. Slowly, Y/N pulled out her wand and whispered "Revelio".

Nothing. 

She smiled and rolled her eyes before tiptoeing towards the invisible figure struggling with the nailed down broom.

"Need a hand?"

She couldn't see anyone yet, but with the fluster of movement and noise, Y/N was sure she'd scared James half to death. That's what he gets for using that invisibility cloak.

To her surprise, it was an irritated Sirius who appeared from under the cloak.

Y/N lift an eyebrow curiously.

"Stealing from our friends now, Black?"

"He let me have it okay. At least I don't sneak up on people like some-some sort of-stalker," Black shot back, though there was a friendly smile on his face.