Year 3: The What Lord?

A/N I know, it's been FOREVER,  I've been drowning in uni work. This one's longish and I thinkkkk I'll have the next part up by tonight or maybe tomorrow night to make up for it (ish). Thanks for the support guys! 

There's a war coming. There's a war coming. There's a war coming. 

The words echoed in her mind, the memory of Lucius' threats and her reaction playing in a taunting loop.

----------flashback------------------------------------------------------

Y/N hadn't minded Potions with the Slytherins, not really. Severus was nice enough, same with the Parkinson boy. Ambitious to a fault, but nice if you stayed out of their way. 

In fact, she'd even been in a fantastic mood in the morning. It was a warm spring day, the last remnants of autumn disappearing with a satisfying crunch under everyone's feet. She was sprinting to Potions after catching Sirius copying her assignment, his copied homework in one hand, him hot on her trail as she threw her head back, laughing with youthful glee. Three years ago, she didn't think she'd ever feel exhilaration at running.

She remembered thinking later, no matter what happened, she'd never forget the feeling:

The feeling as Sirius' hands wrapped around her waist after she let him catch up with her, faux irritation lining his forehead, betrayed only by the twitches at the corner of his lips. Y/N was out of breath from laughing, loose baby hairs entangled on her glossed lips as she struggled to get coherent words out between fits of laughter, and Sirius pretended to struggle to reach his assignment, despite Y/N being significantly shorter than him. 

"First you can't do your own assignment, and now you can't catch little ole me? Pathetic!", she chuckled out lightheartedly after handing Sirius back "his" assignment. 

She remembered how weird it was that quick-witted Sirius had nothing to say back; he simply smiled softly, a twinkle in the gaze that lingered just a couple seconds longer than usual.

"Alright class, settle down, settle down. Pick your partners wisely today, students! We will be making Confusing Concoction today; not an easy potion to make, if I do say so myself! I've warned you, I will not be pleased if these potions turn out poorly", Slughorn strained out over the chatter of over-excited third years.

Y/N flashed Sirius a wicked grin and a wink before leaping out of  his grip and making her way over to Lily's desk. Not that Y/N really needed help making the potion, she could do it with her eyes closed at this point, but she didn't miss the disappointment flash across Lily's eyes as Severus chose once again to work with the Yaxley boy; one of the Slytherins Y/N couldn't stand.

Thinking back, if Y/N had just minded her own business, maybe her day would have stayed fantastic. They were almost done, Lily and Y/N working like a well-oiled machine, gossip about the latest crushes and professor changes in between bits of Leech Juice and Jabberknoll feathers. 

"I heard, The Dark Lord comes from the Slytherin family themselves, and he's going to make Wizards stronger than ever", Y/N heard Alfred Nott whisper from behind her. 

Instantly, she whirled around, interest peaked. 

"The WHAT Lord?", she asked incredulously, causing James, Sirius, Peter, and Remus to look up curiously. Lily continued carefully counting the clockwise turns of their potion, oddly interested solely in the potion.

Nott paled, instantly shushing her as he leaned forward ominously. 

"The Dark Lord? You must have heard of him. My parents say he's going to save the wizarding world."