What About Animals

A/N --> sorry I know its been forever looool also hey out of curiosity, would any of you be interested if I did a one-shot book with Sirius and took requests? Idk I think it'd be something I'd be into 

It was dark and she was suffocating.

That was all Y/N could feel. Her eyes felt like they were glued shut, and the incessant pounding of her head overwhelmed all her senses, and she felt like she couldn't breathe. Somewhere in the distance, she heard muffled apologies, playing on repeat, and someone sobbing hysterically, but the throbbing headache eventually consumed her back into unconsciousness. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sirius watched Y/N's eyes flit around underneath her lids, and the knot in his stomach loosened only slightly.

She's alive and she's going to be okay, he kept telling himself, kept hearing Madame Pomfrey's reassurances in his head, despite them doing nothing to ease his qualms. 

She'd saved his life twice now, and Sirius thought he might lose his mind if he ever had to watch her in a hospital bed ever again. She'd been unconscious for nearly 24 hours at this point, Madame Pomfrey keeping her unconscious while she injected antidotes to fix Y/N's concussion. As such, Sirius hadn't slept in nearly 24 hours-nor moved, nor eaten, or done anything else for that matter, other than go to the washroom when it was absolutely necessary. 

He could still feel it, the way his heart sunk to his feet when he heard Y/N's head hit the dirt floor, the way he'd screamed for her knowing she couldn't hear him. He wondered if she knew he'd trade places with her without a second thought, whether she knew he couldn't lose her, it'd kill him.

He was almost too lost in thought to even notice it, the subtle movement of her hands, the way her fingers gently closed around his hand, and suddenly every ounce of fatigue disappeared from Sirius' as he shot up. 

His heart swelled as he saw that her eyes were half open, adjusting to the brightness of the hospital wing. 

"Wh-"

"Shhh I'm here, save your energy love, give yourself a minute", he whispered, a foreign tightness making its way up his throat. He wasn't sure if he wanted to throw up or cry, the fear and anxiety of the last night finally hitting him like a hammer. 

"Ar-are-are you okay, Siri?", Y/N whispered back, and Sirius laughed incredulously.

"Am I okay? You've been out for a whole day, you dimwit, I'm fine, how are you?"

"Been better", Y/N croaked out, a hint of a smile making its way on her face. 

"God, I was so worried about you, Y/N. Why would you do that, you twat!", he started, his voice rising and an entire night of panic and anger culminating in his gut. "What is wrong with you, L/N, you could've been killed, I was holding up okay, the full moon was almost over anyway, I just had to stall, why'd you have to go and use all your energy for that spell. Do you have any idea what you put me through tonight, Y/N? I have half a mind to never talk to you again, if that keeps you away from trying to get yourself killed every time I'm in danger!"

Sirius didn't know when he'd gotten out of his seat, or even stood up, but by the end of his speech, he was pacing in front of Y/N's bed, hands waving wildly in the air. When he turned to look at Y/N, she was struggling to sit up, and Sirius quickly made his way over to help.

He reached out to steady her arm, but Y/N quickly swatted him away. 

"No, don't touch me", she spat out harshly.