Chapter 3

~Justin's POV~

"I think I'm in love."

I stare at the back of my brother's head as he leans over the open hood of his Mustang. He has a wrench in his hand and is tinkering with the motor, his hands covered in grease. At my words he doesn't even pause, only chuckles and continues to work on the car.

"Noah!" I say, exasperated, "I'm trying to have a conversation with you."

"You know we're brothers right?" Noah says as he looks up at me with a smirk on his face.

I furrow my brow, my mind not following his train of thought. I'm about to ask what that has to do with anything when I finally get his meaning. I punch him in the arm, "Not with you douchebag."

He laughs, straightening from his position over the car and pulling the rag he had in his back pocket out to wipe his stained hands, "Well, then who's the lucky lady? Does she go to our school?"

My heart beat picks up speed and I look away, trying to focus on anything but my big brother. My eyes survey the sparse garage. The only things that inhabit the space are Noah's car and a few shelves that hold the odd tool here and there that Noah has bought whenever they were necessary. A few old boxes reside in one corner full of childhood toys and family albums. Other than that the empty walls are a dirty white color and the cement floor is stained from Noah pouring oil on it constantly.

"Earth to, Justin!" Noah waves the dirty rag in his hand in front of my face and I'm forced to look over at him. He frowns at me, "I thought you wanted to talk?"

I nod and swallow, trying to find my words.

Before I can speak Noah says, "Actually, I'm glad you decided to talk to me. I've been worried about you. If I had known you were love sick I wouldn't have worried so much." He places a hand on my shoulder and squeezes, "I mean, don't get me wrong, being in love is scary but its not the end of the world. So tell me, who is she?"

How my brother knows that love is a scary feeling is beyond me and will take too much effort to think about right now. Taking a deep breath I say, "It's not like that."

"What do you mean? Does she not go to our school or something? Is she from a rival school? Cause dude that's fine just don't let it get to your head."

I shake my head, trying to follow my brother's train of thought, sometimes he goes way off base. Finally, I say, "No, they do belong to our school, just not that gender."

"Is that possible? To not belong to that gender? I mean either you're a girl or you're a girl." Noah scrunches his brow and places the rag back in his jean's back pocket. Sometimes I really wonder if I did get all the brains out of the two of us, he can be so thick sometimes.

"Think about it. If you're not a girl what are you?" I ask as he goes back to inspecting the mechanics of the Mustang.

"I don't get it," he says after a few seconds, while continuing to mess with the car.

Ugh! Is he going to make me spell it out for him? He could at least acknowledge me if he's going to make me spill my guts to him. "Noah," I begin, and wait for him to look at me.

He looks over at me and reads something on my face because he places the wrench on the motor and walks over to me and ruffles my hair, "What's wrong Justin? So you like someone, what's so bad about that?"

"Dude, you better have not gotten grease in my curls." I say flatly. If there's one thing I love it's my hair. My curls are perfect, thank you very much, and they take forever to get just right.

Noah laughs, "Dude, you sound like a girl."

My eyes go wide.

I swallow before taking a deep breath, "Noah, I... I..."