31G/-/7te€/\/

Chapter Eighteen

Jaison and I ran down the long hallway, the set of key’s clinking together as he pumped his arms faster and faster.  I could hear the guards yelling after us, a whole crowd of muffled shouts and threats, together it sounded like rushing water behind my ears.  My heart was pumping blood as fast as it could, adrenaline was coursing through my blood stream.  We turned left at the hall to our “living room” and I slammed into a guard, my fingertips just grazing his arm.  The sound of a shattering body ricochet off the walls and struck a nerve deep inside my chest.

Jaison hesitated only a moment before starting off again.

“Fia and Calder first,” I yelled, my side aching from all the running.  Jaison nodded and released the pair.

Fia went to work immediately, she swirled a circle using her fingertips and slowly but surely a flame flickered to life in her hand.  She pushed it away forcefully, flinging it towards a line of guards.  The ball of fire hit one of the unsuspecting guards causing him to drop to the ground in pain.

A group of guards advanced quickly, while Fia was building up another flame, Calder extended his hand and pulled his fingers towards his palm.  One of the guards screamed in agony as water particles were pulled from his skin.  I watched as the skin wrinkled up and flaked apart, all the while the guard was screaming.

“Melinda,” Jaison called me back to reality.  I turned to see he had already freed many of the others.  “We need to move, this place is going to be swamped with guards.”

“I see a door,” Neveah said, her eyes glazed over and distant.  I looked to Jaison with a confused expression.

“She’s seeing the future,” Neveah’s partner, Avan answered as he took her hand in his own.

“What else?”  He asked lovingly.

In the background I could hear the guard’s anguished cries.  I tried to tune it out and it seemed as though a part of me was slipping away.  My head buzzed and felt lighter than ever.  I forced myself to shove the thoughts away and focus on Neveah.

“Past the bedroom,” Neveah said, referring to the boss’s office.  My stomach flipped as I thought about it.  “Up the stairs, there’s a white door.”

“I know the door,” I said, remembering how the guards had practically dragged my drugged body up the stairs and the boss staring down at me from above.

“There’s people,” Neveah said, her eyes darting around like the scene was playing out in front of her.  “They aren’t like us,” she said, her dark brown eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

And just as quickly as she fell into the trance, she was out of it.  Her green brown eyes were darting around the room as if she had never seen it.  Then her gaze landed on Avan and she seemed to calm slightly.

“Get the other’s out,” Jaison said, handing over the keys to a tall man with light brown hair and blue eyes.

“We’ll be right behind you,” the man said back.  I recognized his voice as number Five, Hugh.  A smaller red head, who I assumed was Eleanor, held onto his arm and glanced at the chaos around her with big, doe like, brown eyes.

Jaison gave a quick nod and tilted his head towards the end of the hallway.  Calder and Fia rushed forwards towards Jaison and me.  At the end of the hall, three more guards came out, this time armed with large guns.  They took their aim towards us.

Fia and Calder set to work, but I could tell they were getting tired and I couldn’t help them out without getting closer.  Suddenly, a girl with long brown hair rushed forward and began throwing fire as well.  I watched as she mimicked Fia’s technique and realized that she must be Ashley, the girl who could mimic someone else’s power.

With the three of them, the guards were out quickly.  Jaison placed a hand on Fia and Calder’s shoulders, seeing how their eyes drooped closed and they started to sway on their feet.

All sixteen of us rushed forward, stepping over dehydrated and scorched bodies.  At the end of the hall we could see another guard walking towards us with a confused expression, no doubt wondering what was taking the other guards so long.  A man with brown hair and deep black eyes stepped forward and a moment later, the guard had his arms in front of his face, hands searching in the air for something unseen to the rest of us.  I glanced back at the man.

“Matt,” a girl with black hair said.  “He changes what you see,” she explained.  I nodded, understanding the guards’ behavior.

“Natasha?”  I asked, wondering if she was his partner.  She nodded.

“Manipulator of emotions,” she said with a smile.  “I’d shake your hand but, you know.”  I smiled and wiggled my fingers in the air.

“Melinda, destroyer of people.”  Natasha let out a laugh and grabbed Matt’s arm.  She pulled him down the hallway.  I followed, running forward to catch up with Jaison.

We all ran down the hallway and for the first time it felt like we were free.  All sixteen of us were surging forward towards the nearby staircase and hopefully to freedom.  Just as Neveah had said, there was a white door at the top of the staircase.  I could hear keys jangling as Hugh tried to find the right key to unlock the door.  I looked behind us to see an empty hallway and for the first time I had hope that we would actually do it we would actually be free.

The white door suddenly flew open, letting in a bright white light.  The mob ran forward and I was careful not to touch anyone.  Jaison appeared beside me, a wide smile stretched across his face as we ran down the hall.

We all burst through a set of double doors into what seemed like a hospital.  Women in nurse’s scrubs looked at us with shocked expressions.  People sat in wheelchairs and on sofas.  Some of them wide eyed and mumbling to themselves, others looked completely empty.

“Hey, what are you all doing out of your rooms?”  One of the nurses called out.

With that we all took off, our eyes set on the glass doors that lead outside.

 _________________________

This is not the end...

_________________________

Comment & vote!!!