What I removed

A.N. Here is another version I replaced with volleyball.

Down at the end of the porch, two men sat across from each other at a card table. The blond-haired girl was leaning on the porch rail next to them.

The man facing them was small, but porky. He had a red nose, big watery eyes, and curly hair so black it was almost purple. He looked like a cherub who'd turned middle-aged in a trailer park. He wore a tiger-pattern Hawaiian shirt, and he would've fit right in at one of Gabe's poker parties.

"That's Mr. D," Grover murmured to them, "He's the camp director. Be polite. The girl, that's Annabeth Chase. She's just a camper, but she's been here longer than just about anybody. And you already know Chiron... ."

He pointed at the guy whose back was to them. The look of recognition crossed Percy's face.

"Mr. Brunner!" He cried.

The Latin teacher turned and smiled at them. His eyes had that mischievous glint they sometimes got in class when he pulled a pop quiz and made all the multiple choice answers B.

"Ah, good, Percy," he said, then looked at Phantom, "And Danny. Sadly, we need only four for pinochle"

He offered them a chair to the right of Mr. D, who looked at them with bloodshot eyes and heaved a great sigh, "Oh, I suppose I must say it. Welcome to CampHalf-Blood. There. Now, don't expect me to be glad to see you"

"Thanks," said Danny with grin, as Percy scooted a little farther away from Mr. D because, if there was one thing he had learned from living with Gabe, it was how to tell when an adult has been hitting the happy juice.

"Annabeth?" Mr. Brunner called to the blond girl.

She came forward and Mr. Brunner introduced them, "This young lady nursed you back to health, Percy. Annabeth, my dear, why don't you go check on Percy's bunk? We'll be putting him in cabin eleven for now."

Annabeth said, "Sure, Chiron"

She was probably Percy's age, maybe a couple of inches taller, and a whole lot more athletic looking. With her deep tan and her curly blond hair, she was almost exactly what people thought a stereotypical California girl would look like, except her eyes ruined the image. They were startling gray, like storm clouds; pretty intimidating, as if she were analyzing the best way to take them down in a fight.

"You drool when you sleep," she said to Percy, causing Danny to laugh.

"Way to be greeted by girl, Percy!"

"And you are snoring," she added abruptly. He shrugged.

"Guilty"

Then Annabeth sprinted off down the lawn, her blond hair flying behind her.

"So," Percy said, anxious to change the subject, "You, uh, work here, Mr. Brunner?"

"Not Mr. Brunner," the ex-Mr. Brunner said, "I'm afraid that was a pseudonym. You may call me Chiron"

"Okay," Totally confused, Percy looked at the director. "And Mr. D ... does that stand for something?"

Mr. D stopped shuffling the cards. He looked at him like he'd just belched loudly. Danny beated him to response.

"Well, he is dressed like he is going on the party, his name begins from 'D'..." He said, waving his hand as if waiting for Percy to finish the statement. Mr. D narrowed his eyes at Danny.

"I must say, Percy," Chiron-Brunner broke in, "I'm glad to see you alive. It's been a long time since I've made a house call to a potential camper. I'd hate to think I've wasted my time"