Chapter 6: Danny the Stand Upper

Annabeth showed them a few more places: the metal shop (where kids were forging their own swords and Danny made a mental note to visit later), the arts-and-crafts room (where satyrs were sandblasting a giant marble statue of a goat-man), and the climbing wall, which actually consisted of two facing walls that shook violently, dropped boulders, sprayed lava, and clashed together if you didn't get to the top fast enough.

Finally they returned to the canoeing lake, where the trail led back to the cabins.

"I've got training to do," Annabeth said flatly. "Dinner's at seven-thirty. Just follow your cabin to the mess hall"

"Annabeth, I'm sorry about the toilets"

"Whatever."

"It wasn't my fault"

She looked at him skeptically.

"Well, if being here doesn't work out, you will make an awesome plumber," Phantom said, smirking.

"You need to talk to the Oracle," Annabeth said. Danny snorted.

"Who?" Percy asked.

"Not who. What. The Oracle. I'll ask Chiron"

Percy stared into the lake, wishing somebody would give him a straight answer for once.

He noticed two teenage girls sitting cross-legged at the base of the pier, about twenty feet below. They wore blue jeans and shimmering green T-shirts, and their brown hair floated loose around their shoulders as minnows darted in and out. They smiled and waved as if Percy was a long-lost friend. He waved back.

"Don't encourage them," Annabeth warned, "Naiads are terrible flirts"

"There is actually a more appropriate word, but I can't say it," Danny said.

"Naiads," Percy repeated, "That's it. I want to go home now"

Annabeth frowned, "Don't you get it, Percy? You are home. This is the only safe place on earth for kids like us"

"You mean, mentally disturbed kids?"

"I mean not human. Not totally human, anyway. Half-human"

"Half-human and half-what?" Danny facepalmed. His nephew is even more clueless than him.

"Seriously, Percy, stop acting like an idiot"

"God," he said, "Half-god," Phantom threw his hands in the air, shouting 'finally!'.

"But those are just...But if all the kids here are half-gods..."

"Demigods," Annabeth said, "That's the official term. Or half-bloods"

"Then who's your dad?"

"My dad is a professor at West Point," she said hardly, "I haven't seen him since I was very small. He teaches American history"

"He's human"

"What? You assume it has to be a male god who finds a human female attractive? How sexist is that?"

"A lot," Danny agreed.

"Who's your mom, then?" Percy asked.

"Athena, am I right?" Phantom guessed. Annabeth blinked.

"Yes, you are"

"And what about my dad?"

"You are Undetermined," Danny said, "which means you should wait until your father, whoever he is, will claim you. I MIGHT have a theory, but we will see, we don't want to be embarrassed"