Chapter 5

What now? I thought to myself, too tired to really be afraid. I grabbed a long thin statue from the nightstand, and slowly walked over to the bathroom doors. I flung the doors open, prepared to attack, and there, on the floor scared half to death, was my Maximus! I'd never been so happy to see him. I scooped him up in my arms and squeezed him tight. He covered me in licks, just as happy to see me. I paused, wondering if perhaps I was still alive. Although you should have all your favorite things when you die, so that could explain Max. I decided just to go with it and see what else happened.

  The bathroom was every bit as beautiful as the rest of the place. White marble covered the floor and wrapped up onto the walls. The vanity was a black antique dresser with a white vessel sink, and a black gooseneck faucet mounted on the wall. The white pedestal bathtub sat in front of a massive window, almost the size of the entire wall, which had curtains matching those in the bedroom.

  I drew a hot bath and climbed in, hoping to sort out my thoughts. 

  The view out the window occupied me for a long while. The countryside was extremely captivating. The land was lush and green with a multitude of wildlife, not the least of which was magnificently large birds that, if I didn't know better, looked alarmingly like Pteranodon. I decided that it's plethora of red and blue feathers made it more beautiful than it's reptilian skinned twin. Not to mention that it's eyes being situated on the sides of its head as opposed to the front was a dead giveaway that, though it might be related to the Pteranodon, it wasn't predatory. They seemed to flock around a small lake in the distance that was surrounded by hundreds of those corkscrew trees. There was something magical about the way the forest came to life as the setting sun sprinkled everything in its path with liquid gold. At that moment I craved nothing more than to bathe myself in that magic and make everything bad disappear.

  Bringing myself back to reality I had no idea what I was going to do about my situation. I figured all I could do for now is hope that Emily would hang on until I found her. As long as I could make sure she was safe, I didn't care what happened to me.

  Once I was dressed in my jeans and a t-shirt, I tried to find something to eat, but I couldn't identify anything in the fridge. Everything was in strange containers, and I couldn't read the labels anyway. As good as I was with experimenting with foreign foods, I wasn't up for other worldly foods. Who was I kidding? I was too stressed to eat anyway. I poured a cup full of what I thought was water, but it tasted more like wine. I drank it anyway, and began exploring the rooms. 

  The room across from mine was very similar, only smaller and no ensuite. It had only one large window covered in the same fabric as the other. Instead of a chair in the corner by the window it had a small dark desk with intricately carved legs, and a matching wooden chair. Above the desk, hanging on the wall, was a large silver gilded mirror, which was the only thing on the walls. Beside the desk, on the nightstand, was a sphere the size of a watermelon. It was perfectly round and smooth. When I reach out to touch it the whole room lit up with bright light. I touched it again and it went dark. It was the coolest lamp I'd ever seen. I then went back down to the main living area.

  One entire wall in the seating area was shelving. The shelves were large thick white wooden squares and they contained a vast collection of incredible artifacts. Some pieces seemed quite familiar, while others were like nothing I'd ever seen. 

  The center of the shelf was a large vertical rectangle encasing three brilliant swords. The two on the outside were smaller and a shining silver color from pommel to tip. The one in the center was glorious. The hilt had Celtic looking knot work inlaid in a rich sparkling gold, and the blade was encased in a metal scabbard with the same knot work. I almost picked it up but it looked as though it would weigh a ton. I wondered how anyone could wield a weapon so large. 

  At the end of the shelves was the entrance to the other staircase. I walked up and at the end of the corridor there were two doors. Max's nails ticked across the floor as he ran to catch up to me. 

  The room on the right contained a large black desk covered in folders and paper. The room was surrounded with floor to ceiling books, like one of those libraries that houses one of a kind and first editions. Every book was bound in leather with metallic script of another language. I sat down and leaned back in the leather chair behind the desk and imagined what it would be like to live in this place. 

  I stood up a few moments later and walked into the hall, reached out to turn the knob on the next door, but I got a serious case of déjà vu, and deciding against opening it, I returned to my room.

  A Guardian by the name of Caleb came to take Maximus outside. I asked to go as well but he said Master Sorin specifically instructed that he not let me leave with him.

  "What? Am I a prisoner?" I stared at him, shocked. Sorin only said I shouldn't go out, not that I wasn't allowed.

  I waited until Caleb left, and opened the door to go out anyway and sure enough Sorin had placed guards outside as well. They stood blocking the doorway as I tried to leave.

  "I am not permitted to let you leave." The one told me. His face was kind as he spoke.

  "Do you know why?" I asked smiling brightly, deciding to try charming them as opposed to annoy them.

  "I could not say; it was not my decision." He replied.

  "What are your names?" I asked.

  "I am Vallin and he is called Rage." Rage looked angry that I had engaged Vallin in conversation. Obviously his name was very apropos.

  "Vallin," I stepped towards him and traced my hand slowly along the chest of his military vest, trying to distract him. Shamelessly, I stared at his lips and licked mine. I heard him inhale sharply. I looked into his eyes, batting my eyelashes, "I just want to look around, and I promise I won't tell anyone. Please?"

  I know I had him contemplating it; he hesitated and glanced at Rage before removing my hand from his chest and stepping back.

  "I cannot," he said and nervously looked at Rage again, who narrowed his eyes at him.

  I looked over at Rage who in turn growled at me. He gave me the shivers as he glared at me. The look on his face said he lived up to his name. Anger emanated from his every pore. He didn't say a word, he just stared me down. He was so massive and frightening, I suddenly felt very small and vulnerable and found myself wishing Sorin would come back.

  I focused back on Vallin. "Take me to Sorin." 

  "We cannot let you leave," Vallin repeated.

  I began second guessing my decision to follow Sorin. If this was actually happening and I wasn't dead, I was in a very bad situation. My anger flared at the thought of being deceived.

  "Tell your Master Sorin he is a major pain in my ass, and tell him I demand that he come back. Now." I frowned at them and slammed the door. I couldn't believe they wouldn't let me leave his apartment.

  Who does he think he is?  I thought to myself, fists clenched at my sides. 

   I stormed over to the windows to check if any of them opened, but had no luck. None opened wide enough to climb out. 

  I went up the stairs and found that the window in the room across from mine did open. I reached my head and upper body outside and looked down, way down, too far down.

  Damn!  I thought, if only I had something to hold on to, I could rappel down the side of the building.

  I eyed the bed sheets, but thought better of it. Jumping was my only remaining option. If I'm already dead how much could it possibly hurt? I looked down towards the ground. My nagging feeling that I was very much alive negated the decision so I figured I'd save the swan dive for a more dire time. 

  I was in such a freaking weird situation! My sister was missing in a completely different world, while the only person that could help us was holding me captive. 

  I never agreed to be a hostage! I can't believe I am stuck in this place. Ooh! What if I made the wrong decision? What if I never see Emily again? What if I'm stuck in this weird place forever?

  I just wanted to go home.