Chapter 9: Admitting the Truth

Slam! Sunset Shimmer threw the door shut behind her upon entering her room. She threw herself onto her bed and let out a muffled groan of annoyance into her pillow. She refused to admit it, but it was true: she was very jealous. The way that Flash looked at Twilight, it was the same way that he'd looked at her two years ago. She hated it!

Sunset knew that she had to write down her emotions. It always helped her to get through whatever she was going through. So, using her magic, she grabbed her diary off her nightside table. This was her second most prized book after the communication one that she had used to talk to Twilight Sparkle while in the other world. It looked very much like the communication book too, with a picture of her cutie-mark on the cover. Next, she grabbed a pen, opened the diary up to a fresh page, and started to write. As she did, she became deep in thought. If pony Flash was now dating Princess Twilight, did that mean human Flash would date Sci-Twi?

Sunset let out a heavy sigh. The whole 'two separate universes' thing had always been complicated. If writing it down won't help, maybe I should take a walk outside to clear my head a little, she thought.

Since Starlight Glimmer had advised her to cover up her wings when she ventured outside, she put on her old saddlebag. It hid her wings perfectly, but didn't make her feel any happier. A few tears slipped down her muzzle - she was still upset - when suddenly, there was a knock on her bedroom door. Sunset swallowed and answered with as much calmness as she could muster, "Who is it?"

"It's me, Starlight, do you want to talk?" A familiar voice responded.

Sunset put down her pen and closed her diary. She didn't feel like talking to anyone, but she had only just met Starlight and didn't want to be rude if she told her to leave. So, she got off her bed and opened the door let the unicorn inside.

"Wow, this is a very nice room. I like how you decorated it," Starlight complimented, looking around in awe.

"Thanks," Sunset replied flatly. Starlight looked at her with curiosity sparking in her lilac eyes, and sighed. "Okay, tell me what's wrong. Are you okay?"

Sunset didn't reply, because she simply didn't know what to say. Then, Starlight spotted the book on the bed. She immediately took a magical hold of it, levitating it into the air with a sparkling teal aura. "Will I find answers in here?" She asked, shooting a sly look at Sunset as she suspected that it was a diary.

Of course, Starlight would never read somepony's diary - it was an invasion of privacy - but Sunset didn't know that

Of course, Starlight would never read somepony's diary - it was an invasion of privacy - but Sunset didn't know that. "Don't read it!" She neighed worriedly, her turquoise eyes flaring with sudden worry. "I'll tell you. Just don't read it." So, Starlight put the book down.

Sunset let out another sigh and lowered her head, feeling ashamed. "Well . . ." she began to say, though reluctantly, "the stallion that Twilight is dating is sort of my ex-boyfriend."

Starlight looked confused. "Oh . . ." She nodded her head like she understood, when Sunset knew that she really didn't. "I just have one question; what is a 'boyfriend'?"

"I mean coltfriend," Sunset hastily corrected herself.

"Ohh . . ." Starlight whinnied, now understanding.

"The thing is . . ." Sunset continued, sitting down on the floor, "I'm really happy for Twilight, of course, but I just wish that I wouldn't have to see my ex-coltfriend move on to another mare . . . kind of greedy, I know. But I still like him. I . . ." Her voice cracked slightly, "I never got over him like he got over me. Both versions of him." She turned away from Starlight, now looking even more unhappy as she flattened her ears.

Starlight felt Sunset's sadness. After all, she had been through a similar thing.

There was a moment of somewhat awkward silence, which Starlight broke, giving Sunset a sympathetic look

There was a moment of somewhat awkward silence, which Starlight broke, giving Sunset a sympathetic look. "I understand what you mean, Sunset, and I'm sorry. But you'll have to get over it, especially since Twilight is the mare that you'll be ruling next to. Besides, you'll eventually find somepony else. I just know it."

Sunset smiled gratefully. She appreciated Starlight's understanding and her advice. "Thank you, Starlight."

"You're welcome," Starlight replied. She paused for another quiet moment, and then added, "Well, I'd better get going because it's getting late."

Sunset looked out of the window and knew that Starlight was right - again. It was becoming quite late - Luna had already raised the moon into the now dark sky. I should get some sleep, she thought. After all, I have a big day tomorrow.

"Okay, goodnight," she neighed to Starlight.

"Goodnight," Starlight answered, dipping her head into a quick bow before she exited Sunset's bedroom.