Chapter 2

REVISED

. . .

People dressed in their medical blue gowns, hands in gloves, and heads in hair covers, and faces in masks shuffled rapidly in the operating room to provide assistance to the head doctors. "Doctor Choi, her heartbeat is slowing down," a nurse noticed how her heartbeat gradually slows down.

Mieun is in a critical condition because of how her head got hurt due to the accident of the car's collision. She was run to the operating room as soon as her father, Dr. Choi Taewon, knew about it. He is the best neurologist in town and in his hospital, which he owns and manages.

The other patient, who is identified as Mr. Kris Wu, an intern student in the Choi Hospital had injured his left leg but the doctor said he could still walk properly because he doesn't hurt that bad, he was lucky enough.

Sleeping for almost fifteen hours already, he finally fluttered his eyes open but slowly, "N-Nurse," his voice hoarse form sleep. The nurse softly asked him to be calm so she could call out for the doctor.

"Dr. Choi," Kris called weakly, the man before him was his own mentor and made a promise to himself that someday he will be as successful as him. "The driver in the other car how was he?" He was guilty of what he had caused.

"She's in comatose right now," Mr. Choi said, turning around to avoid him from seeing his tears pooling his eyes. It hurts to see your daughter in that condition and what hurts more is that as a doctor he wasn't certain if he really saved her or not.

He asked if he could see her but the doctor has to turn him down for now. He has to be healthy before moving around, "Maybe in the next few days, Wu."

He frowned, staring at the back of his mentor until he disappeared from his sight. Sighing, he thought, I hope she's alright just like me... I can't take it when I ruined other's life because of my reckless driving.

Awakening from his deep sleep that almost took a day, he tried to sit up. He was having a back pain already due to lying on the bed all day long. He was worried he might get pneumonia from this, "Mr. Wu, just stay lying, you might injure yourself"

"Can I visit her?" He asked, it has been a few days since he asked and he was hoping they could allow him right now.

"Oh, Miss Mieun? Let me check if you're now allowed," she closed the folder she held and looked straight at her patient. "I think you can visit her," Kris smiled at her words.

He still hopes that she'll wake up soon. And so he can say he's sorry for what had happen to her and would do anything for her well-being; paying for her hospital bills even he himself doesn't have one to pay for it.

Riding on his wheelchair, he had reached her room wherein machines were connected to her, giving life support. "What's her name again?" He asked the nurse, who had pushed the wheelchair and took him.

"Choi Mieun."

He was astonished to know who the girl was. He couldn't believe what he just done. Choi Mieun is Dr. Choi Taewon's one and only daughter. Instead of being grateful for their family's help in his school, he actually set the life of his mentor's daughter at stake.

"Rumor says that she might not continue her journey to World Junior Championships because of her injured legs. She may walk properly someday but she may never skate at all," the nurse explained.

.

Browsing on the internet, his eyes darted at the green period beside his friend's name, indicating she is now online. He almost immediately clicked the button to message her, typing. . .

Chinae-ssi, how was Mieun? She's unreachable since last night, is everything okay there?

He waited for almost two hours but ended up not getting any reply not even just a 'seen' from her at least telling him that she has read his message.

On the other hand, Chinae logged off from the internet, shutting her laptop off before closing it. She sighed audibly; it was hard for her to not tell him of what happened to Mieun, especially the girl is his girlfriend.

She held her limp hand, caressing it while she sniffles, "I'm sorry, Mieun-ah, that I'm not brave enough to go against your father." She has always been by your side, helping Mieun out to talk with Sehun or when she needs to see him. She was always on the lookout but right now, she can't possibly do that.

Oh Sehun was not hated by Choi Taewon because of his financial status. In fact, given that his father is a businessman, Sehun lives in a luxurious life just like Mieun. But behind that big name was a scandalous thing between his father and her mother.

Then, there came a soft knock on the door, Chinae wiped her tears with her bare hands before getting on her feet to open the door. On the doorstep was a good-looking blond guy in white lab gown, by his features, one could actually guess that he is in his mid-20s already. "Annyeonghaseyo," the man bowed with a small smile.

Chinae recognized him; he is one of the interns in the hospital and was a patient a two months back, so she smiled, "Ne, annyeonghaseyo," bowing her head a little as she pushed the door a little further.

He slightly glanced to see a glimpse of the comatose patient. She could only observe him until her eyes was drawn to the embroidered name on the gown, Kris Wu. Her eyes widened, he noticed, "I'll get going," he managed to say without stuttering.

.

Ten months came by like a lightning; everyone was still in hopes to see Mieun wake up again. They pray every day for her to wake up and may there be no complications after. As for Kris, he is now in his second year in residency, he usually visits Mieun every after his schedule or whenever there was no one with her.

As all his appointments ended, he decided to call for the attention of Kris, asking him to go to his office as soon as he can. After fifteen minutes or so, he came inside the office, "Good evening, Mr. Choi."

Taewon gestured him to take the seat across him, pushing him a cup of coffee he asked his assistant to get ready, "I don't know if you like strong coffee," but Kris smiled, muttering that it's alright.

"As you know, it's almost ten months since the accident," he started, putting the cup on its platter, crossing his legs. "And, I didn't suit you of it," he continued which made Kris stiff in his seat. He didn't reply and waited for him to finish, "As a payment for that, I want you to do this favor."

Kris reached out his hand to see what was in the envelope that Taewon handed, "What is this, Sir?" He mumbled as he unfolded the envelope to fish out a paper from inside it.

"Have it signed and we're good otherwise you pay in jail," he straightforwardly said, explaining what awaits him if he signed or not.

Kris swallowed the lump in his throat, placing the paper along with its envelope on the coffee table. The paper was clearly written and classified as a marriage certificate. "I can't—I can't do this," he said, now looking at the latter.

"You don't know what you're saying, Wu. This is a win-win for us, you won't go to jail and I won't have to worry about my daughter when I'm no longer around."

Fathers like Choi Taewon would want the best for his child even that takes him to be the goon in the story. He wanted to make sure that his daughter is with a man who he can trust; and even though Kris happened to be the one to blame her condition, he knows that he is a good man. Sehun is just not one of the best for her aside from the fact that he is the son of his wife's other man.

Then, someone knocked on the door, "Come in."

"Doctor Choi," the nurse in charge of Mieun pushed the door open, "Miss Mieun just woke up," she proclaimed and they hurriedly rushed towards her room.