Chapter 25

Sam woke up on the floor.  His dreams must've haunted him enough to land him on the carpet.  He looked at the clock, trying to see passed the moving shadows.  6:04.  Early enough to sneak around and not be caught by cops, but dark enough to make him look suspicious.  

He stood up and dusted himself off.  He turned on the TV and watched the news.

The news anchors were broadcasting some breaking news.  The woman spoke first.  "We have reports of a wanted man within our community.  Sam Gutso is wanted for failure to pay his bills, child abandonment of his two children, and child endangering as well.  He was spotted in the Dollar Spot on Hindricks Way, but was able to evade police by ditching his car. 

"If you spot this man, or you wanted to leave a tip, please call the number at the bottom of your screen"

The other one began to speak.  "We are now going live to Nathan Orien who is on the Abernathy Farm to report more on the Crop Catastrophe."

Sam turned off the TV fuming.  I just know they are going to try to pin the "Crop Catastrophe" on me!  he thought to himself. I and that I'm on the news, there's no way I can just walk in McDonalds for breakfast!  How am I supposed to eat!?

He still had time before checkout, but Sam knew he had to be gone before the maid came through.  He gathered his few belongings and silently left the motel.

Despite it being seven in the morning, the Yellow Ranch was busy.  A line could be seen piling outside as they waited to be seated.  Sam was not in this line, but waiting in a dark alley on the side.  He was crouching beside the dumpster, waiting for something, anything, to be dropped in the green waste holder.

Just after his stomach growled, a door opened.  A bus boy holding a large trash bag was coming into the alley, ready to remove the scraps people left on the tables.  Sam waited until the man threw the bag into the can and walk back inside before he feasted, and the seconds were excruciating.  The minute the door closed, he climbed inside and ripped the bag opened.  He reached inside the gash and grabbed out some pork chop, and half of a southern omelet.  After holding his breath, and his gag reflex, he took large bites out of the pork chop.

"This is unbelievable!" he said out loud.  "Eating out of the trash like a homeless person!"  He takes another huge bite.  "I had a good job, a good life.  How did I end up like this!?  Damn Clockwork and his damn powers!  Damn cops!  I just want to enjoy my life!"  With his third bite, the haunting thoughts died down to a whisper, satiated on his insanity.  

After the last bite of the omelet, Sam sat down and buried his head into his hands.

"If I have the life of everything, then the news might be right.  Crops won't grow, trees will finish their lives and never be replaced, food will grow scarce...

"The president's must've figured this out by now.  Rations are sure to be created until the problem is resolved.  Meaning tensions, riots, war.  The world is going to tear itself apart."  Sam chuckled at the predicament.  "Meaning if the tensions rise just enough, more food will be left for me!  And water!  If I can confuse them just enough, I can begin the process much sooner and I can gather my resources in peace and flee the country where no one can find me, let alone the fact I won't have to share!

"The question is, what to do until then?  Where do I start?"  He looks out onto the road and sees a cop car driving passed.  He can't till if the cops found him, but he knew he couldn't stay much longer.  "Guess I'll figure that out when I get there."

Sam waits five minutes, dusts himself off, and walks further towards the back of the building to avoid the traffic; trying to get his plan off the ground.