Chapter 29

Another month passed as Sam continued to hide in a remote section in Africa.  The crisis was becoming more severe.  The latest update was about to come through in the news.

It's time for the Evening News.  With Sara Planche and Rick Sacram.

Good evening.  I'm Sara Planche.  As you can see, I am alone here at the desk.  I'm sad to report my partner, RIck, has..." Sara gone silent for a few seconds as she collected herself.  Her mascara was wet and smeared on her eyes.  Some of it went down on her cheek with some tears.  "Rick has deceased recently.  He was walking home from the recent ration distribution when he was... shot. 

"Our field reporter, Kim Karter, usually is ready to report on such atrocities, and with the continued coverage on the Crop Catastrophe around the world, but she informed the station that no longer wishes to work with us for now.  With the continued pressure on low supplies and threats looming around the corner... she... she does not feel safe bringing the tragic news before us until she is sure she can inform you of a solution.  Therefore, I will report the current findings in her place.

"With supplies running low, the inevitable seems to be upon us as more riots break out over food and a demand for answers.  Internationally, wars have broken out as nations fight over reserves.  To add to the list of those decimated by the wars, China and Indonesia have fallen and Brazil is on the verge of a collapse.  

"The President has issued a draft for every able man and woman to join in a war of it's own... Saying it is the only way to ensure we can have more food to try to survive until a solution is found.  It is my opinion... that we are doomed.  A solution is not going to be found... No, Carl, I don't care!  I will voice my opinion! 

"Listen, it has to be said... We are low on food and morale.  ENTIRE Nations have fallen because of the shortage!  People are being shot in the streets over dinner rolls!  Kim isn't leaving her house outside of getting her rations because she fears for her life!  With the rate everything is going... with how everyone is dying... we won't last another month... Hell, I don't think we can last a week...  Lead scientists can't determine the cause, and can't get anything grown in a lab.  That's all of what we're reporting today anyway.  In short, we are ALL DOOMED!  I'm Sara Planche, and I pray to broadcast to you tomorrow...  I pray you all stay safe.