Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Coke & Burgers & Lies, Oh My

James Point of View

A car alarm going off echoed in my ears. My mind was having trouble comprehending what the hell just happened. Slowly, I forced my heavy eyelids open, one at a time. A smashed up maroon colored Yukon was sitting beside us, smoke pouring out from under the hood. I blinked a few times shaking the confusion and disorientation from my mind. I was usually so good about reading the cross streets, but that asshole in the Yukon came out of nowhere. It felt like I was moving in slow motion as I turned, remembering Quinn beside me. She was slumped against the passenger side window, unconscious.

Jesus.

How long were we out?

Shit. Han's drugs.

I checked my watch, realizing we still had time to make to Han if those bags didn't burst inside of her already.

I checked for a pulse, feeling her clammy skin beneath my fingertips. I felt a strong thud beneath my fingertips and breathed out a sigh of relief I didn't know I was holding.

"Quinn! Wake up!" I shook her shoulder, eliciting a moan from her.

I couldn't stop to worry about if she was okay or not. I couldn't allow myself to care. The only thing I was allowed to think about right now was getting this shipment to Han on time. And things weren't looking good.

Bystanders were starting to gather, gawking at the accident. I got out of the car and swung open the door to the back seat, grabbing a black duffel bag, then quickly made my way around to Quinn's side of the car.

She'd opened her door, coughing.

"Are you good? We're gonna have to finish this running." I snapped, reaching inside and unhooking her seatbelt. She got out of the car, stumbling slightly, but catching herself.

She glared at me. "Don't worry. Your shipment is fine."

"Good." Without thinking I grabbed her hand and pulled her along beside me as we took off in a run towards the airport.

I could feel the warmth of her hand in mine as we ran towards the airport but I pushed that thought from my mind, trying only to focus on getting the job done. Shoving our way through crowds of people, we finally made it to the entrance of the airport. I led Quinn through the airport and up an escalator, stopping once we reached the self check in booth. I tapped the screen and got out fake tickets quicker then I thought possible. Jamming the tickets in one hand, I grabbed Quinn's with another and took off towards security.

Slowing our pace slightly so we wouldn't draw too much attention to ourselves. To anyone walking past us, we looked like a couple trying to catch a flight we were running late for. We walked briskly until we skidded to a stop when we approached the security line. Jesus Christ, this was gonna take for fucking ever.

The only thing that kept creeping into my mind was she doesn't have enough time. She's gonna die right here in this fucking security line.

Finally able to stop and take a breath, I looked back at Quincy and felt my heart rate spike just a little bit. Even after a car wreck and running through crowds of people, she was still as beautiful as I remembered. To say I was shocked to see her at Camila's was an understatement, especially with a gun pointed at Jose. If she got his gun off of him she was smart. I'd give her that. Although, Jose is a dumbass I keep telling Camila we need to cut loose.

I honestly thought she was going to shoot me when I was trying to take the gun away from her. Instead when she saw me, she froze. All the fire and fight left her, like the Holy Ghost had just ran through her. It made me wonder if she remembered me.