Chapter 7

Chapter 7: Entry Strategy

James Point of View

After dropping Quinn back off at the warehouse and talking with Camila I'd ended up home, alone, in my townhouse, miles away from where I suddenly wanted to be. I'd tossed and turned all night thinking about Quinn and hating the fact that I was thinking about her. She shouldn't mean anything to me. She doesn't mean anything to me... Yet, I'm growing more concerned for her by the second. I know nothing about this girl, other than she's a smartass and likes to read, so she says. And she loved her horses back home enough to risk stealing my phone to check on them.

This girl has no business in this world.

At least that's what I thought.

I was genuinely impressed with how she handled herself at the airport despite being scared shitless. She got the job done and didn't die.

Unable to sleep I sat up in bed and turned on the bed side lamp. A warm glow illuminated the bedroom. I grabbed my cigarettes and lit one, filling the room with smoke. It was close to four in the morning and I'd be getting up soon anyway. Camila wanted Teresa and Quinn moved to a different section of the warehouse where the mules stayed and I had to make that happen. We were also waiting for background checks on the two to come in.

I wanted to tell Quinn that her horses were safe, she deserved that small simple piece of solace, but I knew I'd have to do it secretly with Camila watching her and Teresa like hawks. If I showed too much interest in either girl, Camila would reign me in.

After stubbing my cigarette out in the ashtray on the nightstand I got up and got a shower. The hot water beating down on me did nothing to relax my tense muscles or ease my mind. Every thought in my mind seemed to run right back to Quinn and her lips on mine. We were playing a part in the airport yesterday, but something kept telling me I didn't want to just be playing a part when it came to her. I felt every spark I felt when we kissed just like I did when I saw her standing by the Christmas tree at Camila's. I remember I had gone outside to get some air and get away from the crowd of people filling Camila's home. I was leaning against the porch when I saw her wandering towards the tree like she was mesmerized by it.

I was mesmerized by her.

After turning the water to cold for a few minutes to get my head on straight, I exited the shower and got dressed. As I was about to leave my bedroom my eyes fell on the bare bookshelf by the door. I noticed my old copy of A Christmas Carol and on a whim I chuckled and grabbed it and opened it, searching the room for a pen. I wrote Quinn a small message on the inside cover.

Your horses are safe.

She had to know it was from me. I neglected to tell her I was paying for their care. She didn't need to know that.

••••••

The warehouse was still pretty quiet when I arrived. Most of the girls were starting to shuffle about and get ready for the day. I made my way inside and found Charger. He was sitting behind a desk probably trying to find a new chemist for Camila.

"Camila wants Teresa and Quinn moved over with the mules. Make it happen." I ordered before exiting the room. As I did I pulled the book I had tucked under the back of the waistband of my jeans out.

I was careful of the cameras Camila had installed and kept away from them as I maneuvered in and out of the chainlink areas until I spotted Quinn and Teresa lying on the same mattress. They were back to back. Quinn was facing me, asleep. She didn't look comfortable or at peace. She looked like she was in pain. My eyes fell to her exposed neck and I noticed the small bruise I'd given her from where I grabbed her in the bathroom at the burger joint yesterday. My stomach twisted at the fact that I'd done that to her. I did my job and sometimes people got hurt, that was a fact, a fact I was perfectly fine with, but I didn't like that I'd hurt her.