Chapter 9

Chapter 9: Family Reunion

James Point of View

Standing there I watched as Quinn drifted off into a deep slumber. I didn't want to admit it to myself, but I was really starting to have feelings for this girl. I think I've had feelings for her since I saw her standing by that damn Christmas tree at Camila's party six months ago. I liked her moodiness and her ability to call bullshit when she saw it. She was perceptive and smart. No matter how strong my feelings were though, I couldn't do anything about it. She belonged to Camila and starting anything with her would just end badly. I already felt like shit for getting this close to her as is, especially with how I was feeling. Camila wanted me to earn her trust, but now that I had it, I felt like I was betraying her in some way.

After grabbing my laptop from downstairs I settled into the armchair in my bedroom and watched Quinn sleep for a while before trying to track down her asshole of a father. She hadn't given me much to go on at dinner when I questioned her about him, but with what I had learned from Camila, I should be able to find him. After running a few searches, I was shocked that I had found her father so easily. I honestly thought it'd be a little more difficult but it turns out he lives right here in Texas. Antonio West lived two hours away from Dallas. I'd be paying him a visit tomorrow morning.

I was about to wake Quinn up like the doctor had instructed me to do every few hours when I heard her moaning and whimpering in her sleep. I glanced over the laptop and noticed her thrashing around a little. Whatever nightmare she was having had a good hold on her.

"No...no...no..." Quinn cried out in her sleep. I sat my laptop down on the table beside my armchair and made my way over to Quinn's side.

I turned the bedside lamp on and sat down on the side of the bed. Her skin was slick with sweat and her face looked pale. Tears were sliding down her cheeks in her sleep. Seeing her this way again made something inside me uncomfortable. I didn't like seeing her in pain like this. I shook her shoulder gently as she continued to moan and twitch in her sleep. "Quinn, wake up. You're having a nightmare."

I brushed the hair out of her face that had covered her eyes. "Quinn, wake up, it's okay."

Suddenly, her eyes shot open as she sat straight up, breathing so fast I thought she was going to hyperventilate. Unsure of what to do, I just stayed sitting on the side of the bed, hoping that now that she was awake, she'd feel better. However, that didn't seem to be the case.

"James?" Quinn whispered, almost confused, tears still in her eyes. I now realized her hand was grasping my forearm. I could feel her hand shaking through my shirt.

Without thinking, I pulled her into my arms. "It's okay, Quinn." I whispered through her hair. "I'm right here."

Nodding her head, Quinn clung onto my shirt for dear life, and I didn't mind at all. In fact I didn't want to ever let go. Rubbing her back soothingly, I waited a few minutes before pulling away awkwardly. Her breathing had calmed down and she had stopped crying. Her eyes were a bit puffy and her cheeks were red but she still looked as beautiful as ever.

Pushing the thought from my head, I spoke. "Are you alright?"

She nodded, wiping the stray tears from her cheeks. "Yeah, I'm okay." Her voice cracked at the end.

"Are you sure?" I asked, looking her over to double check for myself. "You're not feeling worse or anything?"

"I'm okay. Just tired." Quinn sighed, a slight smile on her face. "Really, I'm fine, James. I just had a nightmare is all. They've been happening a lot, it's not a big deal."

I could tell by the way she looked down at the end, that it was a big deal. "Do you want to talk about it?" I asked, shocking myself with my own actions. The things this girl could make me do already.