Prologue

The sun was bright, and the breeze gentle, blowing through her long blonde hair. Her pale skin tingled as the rays warmed her. The woman shielded her eyes with her hand as she looked over the lush green expanse. A smile crept over her face, watching the wildflowers swaying and dancing in the wind. She turned her head, soft giggling in the distance broke her out of her thoughts. She followed the sounds, finding a stone pathway leading to the top of the small hill. She chuckled at the sensation of the cool, damp stones underneath her bare feet. Her long, white chiffon gown remained pristine during the short journey to the top of the hillside. The material billowed in the wind as a gust swirled around her. Her breath hitched in her throat as she saw two small children, a boy and a girl, sitting on a blanket underneath a willow tree. She felt dizzy, noticing the boy's dark mop of curls and intense blue eyes and the girl's golden hair and soulful deep brown eyes. The girl stood, holding out her hand for her. She couldn't move. Her feet felt heavier the more her heart raced, but the child kept reaching for her with tears spilling down her rosy cheeks.

Her eyes flew open in the dark of the hotel suite. She jolted up, pushing her sweaty bangs off her forehead as she tried to calm her breathing. She turned on the bedside lamp. Her fingers fumbled with a prescription bottle, bumping out two circular blue pills with a K out of the middle. She tilted her head back and closed her eyes, forcing the pills down her throat without water. The light was turned off, and she settled underneath the covers. "You'll never have that again, Stevie," she said to herself and shut her eyes tight, praying she would have a dreamless sleep.