Bulletproof Weeks

She padded into the bedroom and slipped out of her shoes. The blond swore she could feel her feet and ankles swelling with each step, but she had too much to do with her newfound freedom. She no longer had to be confined to bed. If labor began, it wouldn't be stopped. Her head spun after Dr. Shepard spoke those words to her and Lindsey at the morning's check-up. Stevie stopped in front of the dresser and took her golden diamond drop earrings out of her ears. She stole a glance in the mirror and swiped underneath her eye to fix her smudged eyeliner. With a yawn, Stevie shrugged out of the cardigan she'd worn over the casual black dress she had decided to wear to the appointment. "Where to start," she spoke to herself and trudged into the bathroom. Stevie found the largest toiletry bag she owned, throwing in hair ties and a few creams. She swore under her breath and realized she needed to save the easy part of packing a hospital bag for last. She ventured into her closet and pulled pieces off the hangers, carelessly flinging the clothing onto the bed. She wanted robes and any loose-fitting tops, pants, or dresses to take with her. Stevie halfheartedly laughed as she realized how much of her maternity wardrobe she'd outgrown in the last several weeks. She threw more onto the bed and pulled open a drawer to decide what outfits to take for the twins. "Oh," she gushed and ran her fingers over the two-piece pink outfit with a blue teddy bear on the chest. The bottoms had a teddy bear butt on them that she thought was the most adorable part. "Can't bring you home in that," she said to her daughter as she rested her hand over her. "You'll probably have to grow into it." Stevie recoiled in discomfort as her son pushed against her ribs. "Just like your daddy. You want all the attention," she noted and let her hand drift over him. She shook her head and took a dozen or so newborn bodysuits from the drawer, slamming it shut and walking out of the spacious closet.

Her eyes scanned over the items scattered over the king-sized bed. She tugged her lip between her teeth. Perhaps she'd gone overboard with what she'd chosen to pack. Stevie gazed at the robes, outfits, underwear, and bras covering the duvet. She looked over at the empty duffle bag she made Lindsey unearth days ago and had no clue how everything would fit. She wondered if it would be too insane to pack a bag for herself and a separate bag for the twins. She put her hands over her face, feeling exhausted at the prospect of all the preparation and packing.

"Stevie!" Sharon shrieked at the top of her lungs as she crossed the master bedroom's doorway.

Stevie startled and winced at the pain radiating through her hips from the sudden movement. She turned her head and met her friend's concerned eyes. "Why are you screaming at me?"

"Why are you out of bed?" Sharon questioned. "You're on bedrest which means you're supposed to be in bed not standing next to the bed," the brunette informed her, marching over and steering her closer to the bed.

"Stop," she commanded as Sharon unsuccessfully attempted to usher her into bed. "Dammit, Sharon. That hurts. Quit." Stevie slapped at her hands and shot her a threatening look. "I'm off bed rest."

Sharon threw her hands up, letting her arms fall to her sides and taking steps away from her friend. "Since when? You've been on bedrest for weeks."

"Since this morning. I can do whatever I want to do since I'm practically full term."

The brunette cocked a disbelieving brow and folded her arms across her chest. "Whatever you want to do, huh?"

"Yes," Stevie answered with an exasperated huff. "It's not like I can do much of anything." She couldn't walk far without feeling like her pelvis would shatter from the pressure of the twins. She couldn't enjoy a full meal without hellfire heartburn. Stevie felt like crying every minute from the struggle of functioning like a human. She exhaled a defeated breath and rubbed the small of her back, shifting on her feet. "What are you doing here?"