The News

The brunette couldn't take the smile off her face as she glanced at the familiar street sign through her aviator styled sunglasses. She had planned on driving home for Thanksgiving, but a last-minute decision to book a flight and surprise her mother a few days early happened. Elisabeth popped her bubblegum and leaned forward. "Right here is fine."

"Are you sure?" the driver asked uncertainly as he lightly pressed the brake of the yellow sedan.

"I'm sure," she answered, smiling at the sixty something year old man. Libba was glad she'd chosen his cab to get into at LAX. For once, she'd settled into the back of a yellow cab that wasn't driven by a loud and obnoxious jerk. Her driver had been talkative and sweet, asking her questions about school and holiday plans during the half hour drive. Of course, she left out the part that her mother was a famous rock and roll singer. Libba sensed the concern and worry in the older man as the vehicle stopped. She patted his shoulder. "Remember, I'm surprising my mom. I can't have a yellow cab pull up to the front door and ruin it. Besides, we're in Pacific Palisades. What could happen?"

He laughed, shaking his head. "I know you're a stranger, but you remind me so much of my granddaughter," he informed her, placing his cap over his salt and pepper hair before getting out of the driver's seat. He stepped to the back of the car, opening the trunk and handing her bag over. "Be careful. I know your mom will love the surprise."

"Thanks," Elisabeth said to him and gave the man cash. "Keep the change," she added, tossing her bag over her shoulder and walking away, smiling widely at the man's grateful, excited yells over the hundred-dollar bill she'd tucked into his hand. The girl continued along the road, breathing in the salt tinged air. She quickened her pace as she waved to a longtime neighbor.

At the gate, Elisabeth punched in her code and bit her lip, feeling her heart flutter as she brushed by the bougainvillea, roses, honeysuckle, and jasmine. She let out a content, peaceful breath as she stood at the base of the white steps inlaid with Spanish tiles. "Home," Elisabeth whispered to herself. The Spanish styled estate had been her favorite since it had been purchased in 1986. A small part of her wondered if that was the reason why her mother hadn't sold it. She climbed up the steps, hastening her pace and skipping a few as she came to the top. Libba slipped into the house, quietly setting her bag onto the hardwood floor and shrugging off her black leather jacket as she deeply breathed in the familiar scents of sandalwood and plumeria. Some parts of home never changed.

"Hi," she whispered to the terriers scurrying towards her and knelt down, running her fingers through their silky coats. "You two be quiet. I have to surprise mom," Elisabeth continued whispering. "Where is she?" Libba giggled softly at the wiggling pups. She heard her mother's unmistakable laugh. That cackle could always give Stevie away. She tiptoed her way to the kitchen and stopped shy of the entrance to eavesdrop.

"I lost two pounds, but look at me," Stevie complained from her spot, leaning against the bar and picking grapes from a bowl. She popped a grape into her mouth and smoothed her hand over her growing belly. The babies were making themselves known as they grew each day.

"You look great," Sharon praised her friend and put the kettle on the stovetop. "But everything else is fine?"

Stevie smirked at the compliment and kept popping grapes into her mouth. "Great and healthy," she answered, yawning and lightly punching Sharon in the shoulder as she laughed at her. "It's not funny. I'm not used to waking up at 8 o'clock in the morning. It's criminal." She'd had an appointment with her obstetrician and was still sore with Lindsey for preventing her from bribing the receptionist to make all her following visits for the afternoon.

"Go and take a nap, grumpy."

"I am not grumpy. I'm tired but not tired enough to take a nap," Stevie explained. "Besides, I need to make sure Libba's room is absolutely perfect for her."