Chapter Twelve

Thankfully, after Lily told me about her liking girls, nothing changed between us. There was no strain in our friendship and things weren't awkward or weird much to my relief. Although I would never tell her, I did start to see her differently than before. I didn't mean to, it just happened. I think maybe it happened even before she had told me, but her telling me about her made me realize I really was attracted to her.

I started to see her as more than just a friend. I started to notice how her jeans hugged her body, how her hair shone in the sunlight, showing just how much red tint her hair had to it and how her eyes light up when she smiles and laughs. I started to notice that when she talks sometimes I find myself paying more attention to her lips and how they would feel beneath mine instead of listening to what she's saying. Having dreams about her has become a regular occurance, and in said dreams we certainly don't do friend-zone things.

It's currently Friday and Lily has talked me into going out for coffee with her and Matt after our classes are finished. Things between Matt and I were less awkward than before, but I couldn't say we're exactly besties yet. 

The school bell rings, signaling that it's time for next class to start. I pick up my books and head to Psychology, my last class of the day and also my last class with Lily. I'm reading over some notes from one of my other classes, not paying attention to where I'm walking when someone bumps into me, causing me to hit myself in the face with my hand that was holding the notes. Thankfully, I had put my books back into my bag or else those would have fallen all over the school hallway.

"Ow, shit," I mumble, bringing my other hand to my nose. I silently thank the heavens when my hand comes back clean of blood. 

"I'm so sorry, Bree! I wasn't even looking!" Lily says, grabbing my shoulders to steady me. 

"It's cool. Look, no blood!" I say, showing her my hand free of blood. "I'm fine, really."

She graps my chin, forcing me to look right at her as she inspects my face. She leans in closer and she's so close to my face that her breath blows acorss my face, causing shivers to rise across my skin. My mouth is suddenly dry but I don't dare move and distract Lily. Her eyes skirt over my enitre face, lingering longer than neccassary on my lips. My breath hitches in my throat when her lips part and my breathing grows heavy. Her gaze drags from my lips back up to my eyes and I almost groan out loud when our eyes meet. She's looking at me like I imagine how I look to her right now. Like all I want to do is wrap her in my arms and kiss her until my lips go numb. 

A throat clears from behind me, causing Lily to drop her hand from my chin and for me to take a step back away from her. I look behind me to see who interrupted and see Matt standing there, his brow raised in question. I roll my eyes and direct my gaze to the floor, flushing all the way down to my chest. 

"Hey Matt," Lily says, trying to fake nonchalance but I can hear a hint of huskiness to her voice. 

"Hey, Lil," Matt replies, amusemnt lacing his tone. His gaze flicks back and forth between Lily and I, the amusement on his face growing when he notices the way we both avoid eye contact with each other.

I clear my throat, finally lifting my head from staring down at my shoes and the school tiles. "Are we going to go into the class or what?"