Chapter Thirteen

Lily and I carried all the groceries into the elevator, both of us dropping all of them as soon as we got in there.

"I think these are the most groceries we've ever bought before," I huff, trying to catch my breath. Man, I'm out of shape!

Lily laughs, but it comes out breathy. "No kidding." 

"At least we'll have left overs for a couple days," I say as I search through my purse for my keys.

Lily laughs. "Yeah, that's true." After watching me rummage in my purse for a few more seconds, Lily takes me by complete surprise by putting her hand into my front pocket. I stiffen in surprise but then watch as she takes my keys out of my pocket, smiling and dangling them at me. 

"Oh," I say sheepishly. 

Lily smiles then rolls her eyes in the most adorable way, putting the key in the lock and opening our door.

Both of us immediately rush to the counter and put down the grocery bags we'd lugged all the way up from the car. We both release identical sighs of relief at not having those heavy bags weighing down our arms anymore. We look over at each other and exchange smiles. 

"Do you want me to put this stuff away for you?" I ask her, gesturing to the many grocery bags on the counter. 

She shakes her head at me, smiling and waving me off. "No, that's fine. I mean, I'd just have to take everything out anyway." She puts her hand on top of mine where it rests on the counter. Her palm is warm against mine, sending tingles all the way up my arm and causing the butterflies in my stomach to scatter and go into a frenzy. 

"Thank you for offering, though," Lily says, giving my hand a squeeze. 

My cheeks start to heat and the butterflies in my stomach have now tripled. "No problem," I reply, smiling and trying to appear unaffected. 

Lily looks down at her hand on top of mine and blushes, which does nothing to help the butterflies in my stomach. She removes her hand from on top of mine and clears her throat, turning around to the grocery bags and rummaging through them. 

"You can't cook, right?" Lily asks me without turning around to look at me as she removes items from the bags. 

Missing the warmth of her hand, I put both my hands in my sweater pockets. "No, sorry. My parents always cooked for me, so I never really learnt how to cook for myself," I admit. 

"Well, I'll let you know when the food is ready, then."

I shuffle my feet awkwardly, feeling helpless. "Alright, Just let me know if you need help or anything." 

She finally looks over at me over her shoulder, sending me a quick nod and smile. I sigh inwardly as I leave the kitchen and sit down on the couch, turning on the T.V to some dumb reality show. I pick up my book from the coffee table and decide to read instead.