The Sentiments of a Wise Old Man

I awoke to the gentle sound of grass being swept by the soft footsteps of nobody else but my dearest sister, I roll to my side as I lay sprawled on the grass in our little rose garden before I sat my way up to look at her face. I can almost hear the sound of annoyance coming out from the beating of her heart before she could start blurting out her disappointment . I laugh, like any other older brother, her unease of petty stuff amuses me.

"Stop that smirk of yours, haven't you heard what pawpaw just got us into?"

Just like I thought, pawpaw is our grandfather and he's suddenly so into his idea of marrying us off to people we don't know of, for the funniest of reasons too. He just got here from a quick visit to my grandma's grave in the Philippines. I don't think of the possibility of his ideas to come out to existence, he's not even marrying us off for wealth and power like most of our calibres have always been married off so. No. He wants to marry us to nobodys , he's got this idea that the world cannot accept us and we cannot live as happily if we remain as pure and as perfect as we are right now.

"Ow, come on! Please don't tell me you believe in any of that, besides don't you think it will be such a breath of fresh air if we get to try out such idea?" I said with a laugh on my face, I am just really amused, and all of it is just so exciting.

"Shut up! You think it's a joke? You know pawpaw, he never gives up, and he had got this reputation for being ever wise and all, dad's already on his side!"

That's true, pawpaw is wise, everybody including Maia and I have always looked up to him for it, he has this mastery of manipulating people into realizing what their hearts want and what's really good for them, he's got this mystery game going like no chess master can outwit, the scary part is that dad, though not his son, wholeheartedly supports his motions though he has already become so old and susceptible to making so many mistakes.

"Calm down Maia, you think it would be so easy to find people he can marry us off to? You know how much pawpaw loves us right? Surely he wouldn't just be picking up people we're going to really hate." I am still not taking this seriously, it has the surreal sense of a fiction book and however different we are, I think this level of cliched sentiment is beyond us.

"And you think those people wouldn't be marrying us for our money? I don't want to be married off like some cattle Alex, I have never even tried imagining myself being inlove, how much more being married?"

What she said made me realize that maybe a big part of the problem we are in is my fault, I am already 25 and just like Maia, have yet to try seeking out love from people from outside the family. We have always been contented with what we have, always been contented with being children who have always worked as hard as our parents. To us it was just always family, studies and figure skating, and perfecting whatever craft we decide was interesting, we were homeschooled so we never really got time to be jealous of other people like how pawpaw says we must and should be. We've got our world at our hands, we have everything controlled inside our own little palace and we have always got everything that we needed, as hard working as we always have been, we were never bored.

"Relax, I think that won't be happening anytime soon, we'll face that one problem as it arrives, it can be an exemption to our rule of always taking care and preparing for future possibilities as I don't think it really makes sense that it is going to happen for real." I felt her face mellow out to me after she understood that I am starting to take the matter at hand seriously, but before she could really calm down, her voice remembered to make the sound of panic as she's updated me of the escalation to our situation. "Somebody is already being prepped for coming here. I heard pawpaw has already gotten a person to bring here, the absurdity Alex! With no time at all for us to prepare!"

Now, from serious to alarmed, I strived hard not to show my panic, being so unprepared for something is a thing that we really despise, we are never unprepared and we always foresee every situation we are going to be in, in the future. But not this, this just can't be factored in, our situations have only always exposed us to our crafts, never to some life-changing deviant decisions from an old man.

He almost never included us in his strategy and wits games. I wonder why now does he, though I have an inkling of idea why. But I think my age is not a very big issue yet, males have always been married at around 30 and it's not very much of a question if one stays to be a bachelor at 40, so my inkling of an idea always gets defeated by the dense smoke of enigma he is giving off.

I am still not very much worried about myself and about the place I am going to stand on in this arrid mess though, I worry about Maya more, she has always been more intense and more inflexible than I. I almost never allow anything to get in my way, Maya doesn't give the word "almost" a place in any sentence that has got something to do with her.

I look at my dearest sister, all our lives, we've only known familial love, we've never asked for more. We love each other so much and just care deeply for each other, I can see my feelings of concern for her etch out of each her almond eyes and get reflected by it. I don't have an ounce of idea about how I can get her out of this crazy notion, I could try to convince pawpaw but I have no leverage I can bargain with, and just like what Maia said, it's not like him to give up an idea- however crazy and out of the blue it is- very easily.