Chapter 9

I dropped at one of the many tables, fighting the urge to fall face first onto the wooden surface. I didn't get the best sleep last night. Even though I slept in a bed that felt like a cloud, I was uncomfortable. Maybe it was because I was used to sleeping in such close quarters with other people? Back at Crowley's, the maids' quarters were so close to each other and the wall's were so thin you could hear a marble drop in the neighboring room.

But here, in the Fairy Tail mansion, my room seemed so distanced from the others. I had neighbors but I hardly noticed them or heard them, I don't think I've ever even met them.

I didn't like it at night. I was so lonely. That sounded like I wanted someone to sleep with me, but that's not what I meant.

I know who I wouldn't mind sleeping with me.

I blushed at my thoughts before flinching as someone grabbed my shoulders. "Good morning!" I heard Lucy sing into my ear.

I put on a smile, "Hey, Lu-" I was interrupted by a yawn. Lucy sat across from me, pausing to study my face.

"Levy, did you sleep okay?" She asked as Natsu and Happy sat down beside her, suddenly mowing down on a plate of various breakfast delights.

I nodded, watching the boys chow down. "Yeah. Just didn't get a good night's sleep." I laid my head on my crossed arms, my head tilted to the side.

I heard Lucy gasp and I looked up at her. Her hand was covering her mouth and her eyes were wide with shock, almost like she'd seen a ghost. Suddenly her face began to redden.

"What's up, Luce?" Natsu looked up, his mouth full of bacon.

Lucy's eyes didn't leave my neck. Becoming self-conscious, I covered the part she was staring at with my palm.

Lucy shook her head then looked at Natsu, whispering into his ear. It wasn't quiet enough for me to not hear though.

"He marked her already!" Lucy whispered.

Natsu's eyebrows raised in surprise. "This early?" He suddenly looked at me too, peering at my neck.

"M-Marked me?" I flinched as Crowely flashed through my mind.

Lucy flinched as I spoke, realizing how loud she was whispering. "W-Well, you already know what it is. He must've explained it." She folded her arms on the table, smirking now. "That must be why you're so tired." She said in a teasing voice. Natsu and Happy snickered at her words.

She was speaking but all I heard was gibberish. "I-I don't know what you're talking about." I murmured.

"Oh, don't play dumb. He would've explained it before he actually did it." Lucy suddenly furrowed her brows, finally getting my cluelessness. "Wait, how old are you?"

"Seventeen." I replied, wondering what my age would have to do with this.

Natsu leaned back in his chair. "Well you're the right age. I don't see how you can't-" A hand slammed on the table, making the silverware shake with the sudden force. We all flinched at the gesture and looked up to the hand's owner.

Gajeel glared daggers at Natsu, Happy and Lucy. They made themselves smaller under their gaze, except for Natsu.

The pinkie raised a hand, grinning, "So you finally sealed the deal, didn't you, Metal Bra-"

Gajeel grabbed his scale-patterned scarf, pulling Natsu close to his face. "I didn't, you dumbass!" He growled, right before his fist collided with Natsu's nose.

Natsu fell back in his chair, his head slumping back. "Natsu!" Lucy and Happy cried. Happy flew around his owner frantically while Lucy jumped to her feet, knocking her chair back in her haste.

"Gajeel, was that really necessary!?" She glared at the Dragon Slayer. I gaped at the now fuming Lucy. Her aura changed completely when Natsu got hurt.

"No, but you two should watch what you say! She doesn't understand." Gajeel gestured to me. I narrowed my eyes; he was right, I didn't understand. And I hated it.

I stood, slamming my palms on the table. A puny sound compared to Gajeel's, but it got the attention I wanted. Lucy and Gajeel looked at me, stunned by my outburst. People not at our table stared, but I didn't care. I hated being in the dark.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I ordered. I felt out of place, but I felt like myself. I didn't sound like the obedient little girl that everyone thought I was.

I saw a smirk tug at Gajeel's lips but this wasn't the time to enjoy his praise.

Lucy faced me. "L-Levy, we're sorry for saying those things. I shouldn't even have said anything. You should just forget I said them." She raised her hands up, an apologetic look on her face.

"No!" I burst out, causing her to flinch. "I'm sorry for being straightforward, but I want to learn magic! I wanna help the guild! But I can't do that when you keep things from me!"

The two stared at me before glancing at each other. Gajeel broke the silence by walking around the table to me.

I stepped back as he neared. "If you want to know, then I'll tell you. But somewhere else." With that, he grabbed my hand and whisked me out of the mess hall.

I was dragged along, trying not to trip. I heard Lucy's voice behind us.

"Gajeel, she isn't ready yet!"