5

Edo, Yoshiwara

The nightlife soon begun for the crowds. People from all walks of life streamed along the streets; male and female prostitutes were literally put on display. They sat on the other end of a cage whilst men peered into the bar.

Of course, visitors were granted to stay a night or two within the brothel house for a pleasurable night.

"... I will have her!" Someone yelled to point at a pretty female.

The owner of the brothel entered the cage from inner to accompany a pretty whore assigned for the night. Before each man was allowed to pass into the building, weapons were frisked for safety purpose.

Geishas were able to roam freely unlike the "cursed" women. Most of the prostitutes were juvenile girls either bartered off to pay debts or sold off for hefty sums. Stories with different layers of bitter background.

Although they were taken care by their peers who shared the same destiny as them. Yet it was a rare case when a noble man fell in love for a prostitute to whisked away the lucky one from it's misery. And those with unfortunate fate passed on from the transmitted disease.

Hidden within the shadowy depths, vigilant sought the crowds with eagle eye so as no predicament arose in the bustle red light district.

Amidst the flock, a group of ragtag officers chose to spend their night for a round of alcohol. Each exhibited an aura of a precipice. Curious eyes from the side tracked them.

Weapons strapped to the side as a display of authority, the top dog of Shinsengumi had been requested from the Shogunate for a business affair.

Yoshiwara was a hot discussion amidst the Tokugawa Shogunate whereas Shinsegumi was assigned to assist the goverment. The watchful group observed several soldiers whom served under the Shogunate in the thick of both local and drifters.

All of a sudden, taiko drums emitted to filter the balmy eve.

Saito Hajime halted to peer over a shoulder to view the procession. Royal blue eyes spotted oirans in beautiful attire guarded by men. The entourage ambled in between the packed district and the play of flutes whistled hypnotically.

"Oi oi," Sanosuke grinned at the same time rested a hand on his right pectoral. "Look at all the beautiful women showing off just for us."

"This is an oiran dochu procession," Hajime corrected Sanosuke in a formal tone.

"Ease up, Saito," Shinpachi chided in a friendly banter. "Let us big boys dream a little."